My son Marc has lamellar ichthyosis so I know exactly what you are going through. Elza gave you very good advice in her response to your post. It is difficult to know exactly why a 4 month old is crying...hunger, colic, etc...or is it because of the skin. I am sure you have looked into the other possibilites of perhaps why your baby is crying. I, too cried with my son when he was very little. He didn't like getting his cream applied and while he cried, I cried, too. All I can say is that it does get better. I joined FIRST and found a great support network. We attended conferences and it was important to see other children who looked like my son. It is important for you to be strong for your child. I am not ashamed of my son's skin and I take him everywhere. He is now old enough to answer other people if they ask what is wrong with his skin. People are amazed when a 3 1/2 year old says, "I have dry skin. It is called lamellar ichthyosis." (Even our dermatologist is speechless!) One thing I have learned to do is to trust your own instincts and listen to others who have gone through what you are going through now. The doctors might think they know everything, but they are not living it daily as we are. First of all, when Marc was an infant, I gave him a bath 3 times a day. The more water the better. Once out of the tub, I applied aquaphor to his entire body. This really helped to moisturize his skin. How often are you bathing your son? What creams are you using? Are you dressing your child in 100% cotton? This was very important for Marc when he was little. I tried, and still do, to keep Marc very cool. Could it be possible that your son is hot? I hope I have been helpful. I am sure that together we can find some solutions to make you and your son happy. Take care. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Denise