Hello everyone

My name is Janice and I am 32 years old. I have had a form of ichthyosis since about the age of 1 year. It is called epithelial nevus. I have thick scales on my feet, knees, elbows, hands, neck etc.

I used to be very self concious about my skin when I was younger, mainly in highschool. Now it's a little different. My son who is 6 months old has inherited ichthoysis bullosa. It was present at birth. I had no idea it was even hereditary. My first child was fine and my parents didn't have any skin conditions either. My son is doing pretty good now. He is more content than he was in the first few months. He doesn't blister that much anymore so I think that has a lot to do with it. His looks just like mine and I find it so weird to see someone else with the exact same conditon. I have learned so much in these last few months about ichthyosis because of Mitchel. Up until now I never talked to anyone else about this. I didn't know there were groups on the internet, I really didn't even know what the medical term for my condition was. Pretty sad eh!
Thanks to this web site I have been able to communitcate with others in the same boat. What a relief to know you are not alone. When Mitchel was born I wondered how I was going to take care of him and my daughter at the same time. It seemed like a lot of work, but time does wonders and now I don't really do anything different than I did with Hannah except rub him down in the tub.

My husband has been wonderful through all of this. So supportive and caring and patient. He is a millwright and I was laid off from my job earlier this year. I worked in a factory building International Trucks. So now I am going to stay home and take care of my children until I can no longer handle it. Sometimes I feel like I need a break so we will see how long this lasts.

Well I have rambled on enough.
Thanks for the information.
Janice Doforno