Hi guys, I'm Lois, 48 years old and I live in Hollister CA.(earthquake capital) [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] I've posted a few times on the old site but it's been a long time.

I'm the youngest of seven children and the only one with what they all referred to as "Alligator Skin." The first time it really became a problem was when the health nurse visited our first grade class - took one look at my arms and legs and sent home a note to my mother that I was a "dirty" child. My mother - bless her heart plopped me into a bath loaded with Tide detergent and began to scrub me raw with an old wooden scrub brush. Then she slathered me in witch hazel lotion that burned like crazy!

When the weather warmed up, I started having heat strokes because of my inability to sweat. Well...dear old mom decided if she put me in the car with the windows rolled up, I'd get so hot I'd have to sweat. Back in the hospital I went, near death. Still no one knew what was really going on.

In high school, during PE my gym teacher accused me of wearing nylons under my shorts and demanded I remove them immediately. I told her I wasn't wearing any so she pinched my thigh trying to grab hold of the "nylons" still not believing me. It was really funny at the time, but as I got older my skin became more of a problem with really flakey scalp/ears and white spots appearing on my arms when I got tanned.

It wasn't until I was in my mid-twenties I finally went to a dermatologist and he diagnosed ichthyosis. I assume it's vulgaris because from all the pics I've seen, vulgaris looks the most like what I have.

Now that I'm old and crusty, I seem to have more and more problems with clothing irritation and feeling like I've reburned a healing sunburn.(if that makes any sense)

Like I said before, I'm the only one of seven kids with it and no one else in the family has it.

I have two children now. My son has eczema - my daughter too only in a few places and now I've got it on the palms of my hands.

I have crohn's disease as well as irritable bowel. Chronic Intestinal Pseudo-obstruction(another rare disease) and high blood pressure added themselves to the list about ten years ago. I think the intestinal diseases are connected with the vulgaris somehow, since if I'm this dry on the outside - I must be pretty dried up on the inside too because I have a real problem with dehydration. I drink lots - but if I drink a glass of water I pee two glasses worth.

Sheesh....that was a heck of a long story - sorry! Haha!