Hi all, I'm a new member. My name is CJ. I'm 37 female and was born with ichthyosis, mild case. None of my siblings have it.(I think an aunt of my father side had it as well) My mother first brought me to doctors when I was a year old. After numerous tests over several years, they still didn't know what it was. I was told that my oil glands didn't work and there was nothing they could do. During the winters I took vitamin E pills for two weeks and then skipped a week. My mother also covered me with "Bag Balm" a thick (disgusting smelling) vaseline used for cow's udders. It wasn't until about 4 years ago that I was finally told exactly what the name of the disease was. Besides my arms being bumpy, dry and flaky; the build up on my elbows, knees, and heels; my shins seems to be the worse. Especially in the winter. If not lotioned often they crack and bleed. Although the one good thing, if you can say that, is that I have absolutely no hair growth on the majority of my legs. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] It really cuts down on the shaving, although I don't use a razor (it causes alot of abrasion) I use a mustache trimmer. It really does work wonders and I get no prickling blood dots.
Of my 2 children, only one has ichthyosis. It is even milder than mine. He is 12 and didn't develop signs of it until about age 7.
My doctor prescribed Lac-Hydrin 12% for us both. Although almost any type of lotion seems to do the trick. I just have to be careful when I apply lotion when my legs are extremely dry. The stinging can be very bad.
I must relate to you a very funny story. (At least now I can laugh about it) A few years back, after a shower I decided to take a heel file to see if it would help in exfoliating my arms. And for the final touch I applied lots of lotion. Well I was ok for a few minutes after that but oh boy my arms began to sting so bad!!! After about a half hour of total pain it began to diminish and my arms looked as if a half crazed cat had gotten a hold of them. Well so much for crazy ideas.
So anyway, thats my story. I hope I read more interesting stories.