Short version - Our scans were inconclusive at best, but you might have better luck depending on the type of EHK that you are coping with. We had them zoom in on the scalp and measure the skin thickness and we also tried to get a good look at the soles to see if the thickness or cracking pattern had begun. Since the baby is in fluid, the skin is well hydrated and seeing anything is very difficult. The only literature I found about doing it successfully referred to harlequin infants where the skin membrane is so thick that they could see the eclabium and clenched hands. I would love to see someone have success with EHK.

As for the birth plan, all 3 of mine were premature and there was greater concern about their ability to breathe than the problems with their skin. I had 2 that had temperature regulation issues. One took 2 days to get control, the other was okay after 12 hours or so. Both were 35 weeks, 1 day.

One thing I found out is that all 3 hospitals did not carry Cetaphil, which is our preferred cream. We had to bring our own after the doctor called for it and we were brought Cetaphil cleanser, given some very watery, pretty much useless thin cream, and then some other random stuff they had. None were thick enough to manage the water loss issues.

My oldest's skin was pretty torn up after the birth, but the other two were fine. All were vaginal births. Also remember that we don't have a blistering sort of EHK.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"