Hello everyone.

I have ichthyosis, and have had it all my life. I am not 100% sure but I do believe it is a "midly-severe"(if that makes any sense) case of ichthyosis vulgaris. Now, from what research i've done It is an autosomal domintant disorder which basically means if any one of my children were to get that gene from me, they would have it. My mother had a mild case of it and I believe my father was a carrier for it. All of my research states that even though its autosomal there is only a 50/50 chance of the child being affected by it. But if I got the gene from both my mother and father wouldnt that increase it to a 100% chance? I'm sure you understand my concern, while this is not a life-threatening condition it is something i would rather suffer through alone then have any possible children suffer through as I had to. The reason I'm unsure about this is that some research I found also said that there is some evidence that suggests that if you have both genes for ichthyosis rather than just one you will have a severe case as I believe I do.

Perhaps someone with a similar situation could shed some light on it for me?