When my eldest son was 3 he was diagnosed with corneal opacities which were put down to damage caused by numerous maebomium cysts, chronic conjunctivitus and blepharitus. He was very sensitive to light and wore tinted glasses. When he was 7 the eye surgeon said that whatever damage was done is done by the age of 7 and that it was not progressive so she said he did'nt need his glasses anymore. She compared his vision to looking through a lace curtain.

Gary is now 11 and we have'nt been aware of any eye problems. However, 2 weeks ago, I received a very concerned note from his teachers saying that his vision was very poor - this had just come to light while they were bird watching and Gary could'nt see anything unless the binoculars were adjusted to the highest degree which made it impossible for anyone else to see throught them. The teacher compared them to lenses smeared with vaseline and Gary apparently said that he does'nt "see" like everyone else does.

We are waiting for an appointment to see the eye surgeon and I'm very concerned about his sight now. Is this all down to his ichthyosis? Can anyone throw any light on this for me?

Yvonne.