Well, I have been reading this bulletin board for several years and would sincerely like to thank the generous people who made this site possible in the first place and to all the other people that have contributed to me (and many others) valuable tips and support. I am a 27-year old female with EHK. I have never met anyone with my condition, but based on what I've read, I feel I fall into the "moderate to severe" category...depending on the time year of course...I live in the Midwest. Living with EHK isn't easy (really, that goes w/out saying). My early childhood was good...middle school and early high school was a nightmare though. But my late teens and early 20's is when I learned to accept and be more comfortable with myself. In the grand scheme of things, what all is going on in the world, what I have to deal is relatively minor. Imagine dealing with our conditions 100 years ago! Of course, it is still hard to deal with it at times, but after the pre-teen and early teen-aged years things are MUCH better. Anyway, I have been involved with a great guy for 7 years. It took me several years to believe that this smart, handsome, sweet guy didn't mind my condition (I've seen MANY times on the bulletin board that this is a re-occuring theme with other Ichthyosis sufferers). So anyway, we are thinking of finally "tying the knot". We both want kids. But I don't want a child of mine to go through what I did when I was younger. And, please, please, please I am NOT here to criticize ANYBODY for choosing to have a child knowing that they will or will have a good chance of having a child with Ichthyosis. Although all of us share many of the same experiences, it appears that everybody's conditions are unique in their own way. Well, to make a short story long, I want to have children. From what I've read about EHK, it appears to be a dominant gene which means my kids have a 50/50 chance of inheriting it from me. Yet, on the other hand, neither of my parents are afflicted with Ichthyosis. So does that mean I have a "mutation" in my skin genes? Is that hereditary? Of course, I realize I need to consult with a dermatologist/geneticist about this at some point. But first I want to know if it's worth my time. Because to be honest, if a child of mine has a 50/50 chance at best, I will opt for adoption instead. I really hope I don't sound cold in this post. I think having this condition is a double-edged sword...It sucks having it, yet I am very compassionate to others in a way I wouldn't be w/o this condition. Also, I am wondering what other people's experiences with pregnacy have been. So, anybody's response would be much appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
God, Grant Me The Serenity To Accept The Things I Cannot Change, and the Courage To Change the things I can.