Topic Options
#9864 - 10/19/02 01:57 AM Daily use of Lac-Hydrin
Angel Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The dermatologist that diagnosed my (now) 14 month old daughter with ichthyosis, told me that I am to put Lac-Hydrin on her skin twice a day. As I read more about this cream, I am not sure that this is the best remedy. First of all, many people have commented on the stinging they have felt from the application of this cream. My daughter does not seem bothered by the cream, but since she cannot speak, I am not completely convinced that it is not affecting her. Secondly, her skin has greatly improved and I am not sure if I need to continue to apply the cream to ensure it stays this way, or if I can just moisturize her skin for awhile. The first week and a half that I was applying the Lac-Hydrin, her skin was peeling and appeared to be getting worse. By the two week mark, her skin looked great and has continued to look great. There is barely any evidence of the scales on her body, anymore. The only places on her body that are still extremely dry are her face and her scalp, as I do not want to use the Lac-Hydrin in these areas. Lastly, is there a link between the use of this cream and darkening of the skin. If someone could please get back to me regarding their use of Lac-Hydrin, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Angel

#9865 - 10/19/02 02:57 AM Re: Daily use of Lac-Hydrin
yangm316 Offline

Loc: sheboygan, WI, USA
My 6 month old daughter has EHK and once was told to use lac-hydran, now she dosent use that antmore. We now use U-lactin, it has urea and is much gentler to the skin. I order online at AmericanRX.com but I dont know where they all deliver to, but it is the cheapest place on-line to get it. I use the U-Lactin 2 times a day with Aquaphor (you can get anywhere) and it makes her skin very soft. plus in her baths we use AVEENO baby bath and AVEENO baby lotion. AVEENo can be found anywhere and his Hyperallegenic (for sensitive skin). She is still scaly but they are much softer and less dry. Hope that helps you, let me know.

#9866 - 10/22/02 06:19 PM Re: Daily use of Lac-Hydrin
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Hi Angel,

To my knowledge, there's no link to the Lachydrin and the darkening skin. The darkened skin is usually just dead skin that hasn't peeled away yet.

As far as how often to apply Lachyrdin versus a different moisturizer, well, you'll just need to experiment (spelling?). Try putting the Lachydrin on once a day, and the regular moisturizer once a day. Then see if you can move to Lachydrin every other day, with the slot emptied being filled in by regular moisturizer and such.

Also, if you are cautious about applying the Lachydrin on her face, talk to your derm about having the Lachydrin mixed into an ointment by a pharmacist.

For the scalp, try a home made hot oil treatments on the scalp, just as you would for revitalizing your hair. My version of a home made hot oil treatment is to get a ketchup dispenser type bottle, fill it with my preferred oil (peanut oil, canola oil, sesame oil, almond oil, jojoba, whatever your taste or pocketbook prevers,) and warm it by filling a mason jar with really hot water and sticking the bottle of oil in it. I don't like to microwave the oil as it'll get too hot too fast.

Then, I hop in the shower, get my hair wet, comb it all out, and take the bottle with the oil in it and section out pieces of hair so I can gentle squeeze oil directly on my scalp. I don't rinse it out of my hair for at least another 4 hours. Before I rinse it, I comb out my hair with a fine comb and gently remove any loose scales from my scalp that seem willing to come off. Then I go back in to the shower and shampoo my hair at least 2x to get the oil out. Voila! I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work for your daughter, just make sure the oil doesn't get in her eyes as it amazingly can sting the eyes a little bit.

#9867 - 10/22/02 06:50 PM Re: Daily use of Lac-Hydrin
KatieCakes Offline

Loc: Boston & South Attleboro, MA, ...
Hello all,
Well I figured I'd add my two cents. I am 17 and I have used LacHydrin after every bath I've taken for most of my life. It works wonders but it does tend to sting but only if I have an open cut or sore. If I dont then all is well..and if I do I just avoid putting the Lac Hydrin near the cut. It stings bc of the acid in it. I now use AmLactin which is the exact same as lacHydrin only it doesnt sting. Even though your babies skin looks great I would not stop using the lotion on a daily basis...there is no quick cure for Ichthyosis and unfortunately you must work at it daily to keep your skin healthy. I would try either ULactin or Amlactin on your baby, just to prevent stinging...I don't know of a site where you could find out more about them but you could either look them up online or your dermatologist.As for the darkening of skin I agree that it is just dead skin that hasn't peeled off. LacHydrin would not affect that. Good luck!
Katie

#9868 - 10/24/02 12:26 AM Re: Daily use of Lac-Hydrin
Angel Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thank you for the great advice. This bulletin board is an amazing forum for the exchange of information. I really appreciate all of the replies.

Angel

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information