Topic Options
#9527 - 08/31/00 01:07 PM bath oil in bath
mythreesons Offline

Loc: preston, ct
Has anyone tried using bath oil (ie Avons skin so soft).

I am not sure if it would be moisturizing or drying for my children who have icthyosis.

Thanks,
Karen

#9528 - 08/31/00 01:52 PM Re: bath oil in bath
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
My personal experience is that some bath oil (baby oil, or something fancier) is nice in the bath...but then I need to put my regular creams on right after the bath.

If I put baby oil on my body (straight) after the bath, as a kind of moisturizer, then I find that it ends up being drying. My skin doesn't stay as moist when I put straight baby oil on it, even when I layer my regular creams on top of it.

Just my personal experience. I'm sure you'll get lots of varying opinions [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#9529 - 09/01/00 01:47 AM Re: bath oil in bath
marcsmom_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wantagh, NY USA
Hi Karen,

I have never tried bath oil in Marc's bath, but I have used lavender bath salts. I once read somewhere that lavender helps decrease the redness. I bought the bath salts and put them in Marc's tub three times a week. I did notice a difference in the appearance. His skin felt smoother, too. Once out of the bath, I still applied his cream-aquaphor or Neostrata's Problem Dry Skin. Let me know if you try the bath oil.

Denise

#9530 - 09/03/00 01:04 PM Re: bath oil in bath
Anne Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I have applied Baby Oil, Avon's Skin So Soft, basically alot of oils out there. I find that I still need to put cream on afterwards anyways because my skin does not stay moist with only oil. I will pour some baby oil if I am taking a bath because soaking in the oil for a long period of time will make my skin softer. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally posted by mythreesons:

I am not sure if it would be moisturizing or drying for my children who have icthyosis.

Thanks,
Karen

#9531 - 10/14/00 03:32 AM Re: bath oil in bath
mystry Offline

Loc: fessenden Nd
Try good old fashioned Suntan oil! do not laugh, it works better than anything else I have ever tried. Plain baby oil just seems to sit atop the skin. But tanning oil is full of more natural oils that soak into the skin. Plus I would think that the skin so soft may have too many perfumes in it & may irritate & burn. Plain lotion just seems to put a waxy layer on & makes the skin look "dirty" I buy the cheapest bottle of tanning oil I can find for the bath. For us it has worked great for softening the skin. Good luck, Misty

#9532 - 11/03/00 01:18 AM Re: bath oil in bath
paula Offline

Loc: bellevue,ne 68005
As a mom of a child with Ichthyosis I have found that the only oil that works is Crisco and I put about a teaspoon or a tablespoon in the bath water and then I put his Crisco on him when he is done in the bathtub. Paula

Quote:
Originally posted by mythreesons:

Thanks,
Karen

#9533 - 11/21/00 10:25 PM Re: bath oil in bath
Chandra Offline

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I have lamellar ichthyosis. I use bath oil regularly in my bathwater, specifically baby oil. Peanut or almond oil also is very nice (a bit more spendy though). However, something that's somewhat new is baby oil gel. I rub that all over before I put on my ointment. It's great. Plus, if I'm out and about and my skin gets really dry and needs moisturing, I go into a bathroom, put some baby oil gel on and then put ointment over it. Putting ointment over dry skin doesn't do a whole lot since I've already got a layer of scales there, I need to get the skin moist first and short of a bath or shower, the gel is the best way to do it.

I do also slather on baby oil after I shower. I can spread it faster than I can my ointment (generic petroleum jelly) and it then keeps me from drying out while I take the time to coat myself with petroleum jelly.

I have heard of other people using crisco or vegetable oil in their bathwater too. No matter how funny the idea may be to you, if it works for you, use it!

On a somewhat similar note, some people can use lotions with great success. I have found however, that with my skin, lotion moisturizes my skin for a short time, but isn't heavy enough to hold moisture in, so it evaporates out and ends up leaving me even drier than before. If you are caring for someone with ichthyosis, this may be something you want to be very observant about to discover which is a better moisturizer for you.

Lastly, whenever you see your dermatoligists, ask if they have any new lotion or ointment samples as it seems like every 5-8 years, I find something else I like better. I've run the gamut from A&D ointment (boy was that a long time ago) to Eucerin to Aquaphor, and now to plain old petroleum jelly (not Vaseline. For some reason Vaseline spreads thinner than the generic stuff and doesn't work as well for me) and that's just the over the counter stuff ointments, not the acid based stuff or prescription items.

You may want to test stuff on a small portion of skin rather than trying it in a the bath when it coats everything. Hands and elbows are pretty easy to test with if you're not doing it on yourself.

[This message has been edited by Chandra (edited November 21, 2000).]

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information