Topic Options
#8349 - 09/01/07 02:36 AM Elidel and cancer?
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
I know this has been talked about before (I think), however I searched the forums and couldn't find it!

Anyway, a friend of mine has a kid with pretty severe eczema, and was recently prescribed either Elidel or Protopic, I'm not sure which. She gave me this link: http://www.protopiclawyers.com/index.htm

Does anyone know anything about this? I thought some of you guys used Elidel, so you might know. Is this something new?! B/c we're supposed to be starting it for spot-treatments in September! Or at least, last time I talked to her derm. that was the plan!

#8350 - 09/01/07 10:37 AM Re: Elidel and cancer?
jrmiss86 Offline

Loc: Marlton, NJ, USA
Hi there,

we have used Elidel a little bit for Alex's bad spots. I asked my dr. about it when it was first prescribed and he had no concerns. I would ask how much had been used. There are a lot of things out there that when used enough will cause cancer, sweet n low is one example. For us it is not a concern because we use it so sparingly and only after we have tried everything else to get rid of a bad spot. For us once we get rid of that bad spot as long as we keep up with his cream they don't come back so we don't have to keep using the elidel.

Heather
Liz (3/16/07)

#8351 - 09/02/07 01:44 AM Re: Elidel and cancer?
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
Yeah, this is something recent - they're talking about "black boxing" the two products (Elidel and Protopic). I think this even came about after April '07, because in April Julia's derm. suggested it for when she turned two - I'm sure if the FDA were trying to "black box" the products, he wouldn't have suggested it - especially since it says specifically on a few sites to not use if you have Netherton's syndrome! You can't get much more specific about that!

I'm going to give him a call after the vacation weekend, and I'll give an update if her derm. can give me any info, I guess!

#8352 - 09/02/07 08:38 PM Re: Elidel and cancer?
didi4nyc Offline

Loc: ny
i have used protopic for about 2 weeks a few years back, and it did help alot. I had a terrible rash. I would not think that the derm would perscrybe something that is not FDA aproved but I guess it is worth looking into.

#8353 - 10/14/07 12:31 AM Re: Elidel and cancer?
Newfiemom Offline

Loc: Burnt Islands, Newfoundland,Ca...
Hi there I am new to the site however my 7 yr old daughter has used protopic .05% and .1% I found it work very well, she was on it for 4 yrs and I requested her to stop the use I was starting to get nervious b/c she was becoming immunied to it..she also used the other cream you mention and I didnt find it work so well..

Moderator:  Laura Phillips, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information