Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7006 - 03/08/07 05:06 AM Re: Oprah is planning a show about skin!!!!
Promiseland_dup1 Offline

Millions of people watch that show. Millions. It is great for raising awareness.
I CANNOT THINK OF A BETTER WAY.

I am only concerned that the complexity of dealing with different types of ich would be drowned out, especially the different needs of those who could sweat and those who have great difficulty sweating.

Come on, R, chill. No reason to beat up on Oprah if she is overweight. You yourself have mentioned you have been fat. Great to hear that you are working out and sweating. We may not all agree with her social / political agendas, but that's another story.

#7007 - 03/08/07 01:49 PM Re: Oprah is planning a show about skin!!!!
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
I agree, R, for the most part I hate Hollywood big-shots. I told my friends awhile ago that I'd e-mailed Dr. Phil to try and be on the show, and they all went WHY??! lol But imagine the exposure! Imagine the money that could be raised, the morale that could be boosted!

#7008 - 03/08/07 07:55 PM Re: Oprah is planning a show about skin!!!!
LauraAnn Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Personally, I'm not a huge Oprah fan either, but I do love to watch her show at times because of certain topics, etc. And I think it would be FABULOUS if she did a show with Ich. included......Reality is, she is loved worldwide, and by golly, people listen to her.
I'm praying for something to happen!!
(AND, I'm praying that if it does happen, I get to be in the audience!!!!!!! I couldn't bear living in the same city and not being able to be there!!!!!)
Also, my mother in law ADORES Oprah, and mil could stand to learn quite a bit more than she's willing to ask about her 2 grandsons' condition!! [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

#7009 - 03/09/07 09:37 AM Re: Oprah is planning a show about skin!!!!
thehodgees Offline

Loc: Woodstock, ON, Canada
"Oprah's a fat disgusting idiot."???? I thought, it was these same superficial and cruel remarks that the ich. community (including relatives of)detested and even feared. As well,the fact that someone "...just had to say it." shows that nobody is immune to such disrespectful and judgemental behaviour; I guess, by this example, it should be deemed perfectly expected to have strangers come up to us and make insulting comments about our appearances. I hope that none of Oprah's assistants stumble upon this thread during research for a show.

Sorry...HAD to say it.
CH

#7010 - 03/09/07 01:55 PM Re: Oprah is planning a show about skin!!!!
LauraAnn Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by thehodgees:
"Oprah's a fat disgusting idiot."???? I thought, it was these same superficial and cruel remarks that the ich. community (including relatives of)detested and even feared. As well,the fact that someone "...just had to say it." shows that nobody is immune to such disrespectful and judgemental behaviour; I guess, by this example, it should be deemed perfectly expected to have strangers come up to us and make insulting comments about our appearances. I hope that none of Oprah's assistants stumble upon this thread during research for a show.

Sorry...HAD to say it.
CH

I'm so glad someone came up with a great way to address that comment. AGREE!

#7011 - 03/09/07 03:44 PM Re: Oprah is planning a show about skin!!!!
libby Offline

Loc: USA
We have been TV free for almost 8 years. The best thing I have ever done for my family!!! The creativity that has emerged, the reading, the amount of time being spent playing the piano, guitar, flute, clarinet and recorder is amazing.

But, I do miss the Oprah show!! I would love for her to shed light on what we as ichthyosis suffers or caregivers go through in a week, month, year, and YEARS. The attention that the disorder would receive would be incredible I am sure.

I agree....let's hope that Oprah's assistants don't find this thread. If I were half of the idiot Oprah was, I would have what, 1/2 a billion dollars right now!!!!

Lib

#7012 - 03/09/07 04:16 PM Re: Oprah is planning a show about skin!!!!
kacy825 Offline

Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland, USA
Quote:

Sorry...HAD to say it.
CH

Thank you for saying it!!!

Bottom line is Oprah is a person that evokes people to gather around and take notice. We as the Ichthyosis community need people to understand us. What a better way to do that then through someone who I believe has a good heart. There are so many people right here in the US that still feel alone. I talk to people through our support network that don't have computers or ways to search for better care. Fortunately, most people in the US have at least one TV, lets use it to our benefit if the opportunity should arise. Imagine the possibilities, she reaches so many people WORLD WIDE!!!!!!
Younger brother also affected.

" I have EHK, it doesn't have me!"

#7013 - 03/10/07 12:06 PM Re: Oprah is planning a show about skin!!!!
JodiMeador1 Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA USA
I just wrote to the "Oprah Winfrey Show". Maybe if enough of us put a plug in, they will do a show about "Ichthyosis" Thanks for the tip!

Jodi

Quote:
Hey, everyone!
I was just cruising through the Oprah site (www.oprah.com) and it looks like they are preparing for a show about skin.
Visit this link and fill out the form...let's see if we can't get a feature about Ichthyosis!!!!
https://www.oprah.com/plugger/templates/BeOnTheShow.jhtml?action=respond&plugId=250500001
(Make sure you list an age of at least 13 years old...for Ema, age 2, I listed myself and then told her story).

Cheers!
Sarah

#7014 - 03/10/07 08:32 PM Re: Oprah is planning a show about skin!!!!
Nana-1 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
I just sent in our story --- I wonder what is our present count?? Keeping fingers crossed.

#7015 - 03/10/07 11:07 PM Re: Oprah is planning a show about skin!!!!
Julia's Grandma Offline

Loc: Cranford, NJ - USA
I also posted to the Oprah show the other day. Who will do this if not us?

Also, just wanted to take a minute to remind everyone to use www.goodsearch.com when they search the internet if they are not already doing so. If we choose FIRST as our charity, each time someone does a search using this site, one penny will be donated to FIRST. This couldn't be easier. I'm sure we all do several searches each day. When you go to the search site, type in Foundation for Ichthyosis and Related Skin Types and click the button to verify the charity. From then on, every time you go to the www.goodsearch.com, FIRST will already be in there as your charity of choice.

------------------
Stephanie

I GoodSearch for the Foundation for Ichthyosis and Related Skin Types.

Raise money for the Foundation just by searching the internet with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com- powered by Yahoo!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Laura Phillips, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information