Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6329 - 11/21/06 11:10 PM best place to live
Chloe's mom Offline

Loc: Naperville Il
my husband has ichthyosis and my daughter has some form of it also. We live near Chicago. Is there any place other than California (we love CA, but that doesn't look poss) that has improved your skin once you moved or were on vacation?

#6330 - 11/22/06 01:04 AM Re: best place to live
dbyte Offline

Loc: holbrook, ny usa
my sisters skin is almost normal since she moved to florida. when i got there for visits, my skin changes for the better every time!!! warmth and humidity is best for us.

christine

#6331 - 11/22/06 01:10 AM Re: best place to live
kacy825 Offline

Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland, USA
I must agree. I live in MD, but visit Florida regularly. When there my skin improves dramatically. I am thinking a soon as the kids are grown we will be doing the living in Florida during the winter thing.
Younger brother also affected.

" I have EHK, it doesn't have me!"

#6332 - 11/22/06 01:32 AM Re: best place to live
Promiseland_dup1 Offline

Depends on the type of ich you have. You will see dramatic improvements for X-linked and severe Vulgaris in hot and humid weather. Scales are exfoliated by the sweating and the pores are opened for more sweating. But the heat may be too much for those with ich and cannot sweat no matter what. Cool and humid weather, such as Pacific Northwest, may be better.

Warmest winter in the United States would be Hawaii.

#6333 - 11/23/06 04:10 AM Re: best place to live
rodkarbrown Offline

Loc: Rochelle IL USA
Hi There:

WE are in Rochelle Illinois so not too far down the road from you! Our daughter has Netherton's and Florida is not good for her. Just thought I would let you know! Do you happen to go to Dr Paller in Chicago??

Karla

#6334 - 11/23/06 06:51 AM Re: best place to live
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
California was horrible on Julia's skin (NS), New Jersey was even WORSE (we might be moving to MD in March, so that might be a problem), and Texas so far has been the best lol Go figure!

#6335 - 11/23/06 02:49 PM Re: best place to live
threerxli Offline

Loc: virginia
for nine to ten months out of the year, we love the central and coastal areas of Virginia, and the coast of North Carolina too. (XLI)

#6336 - 11/23/06 04:59 PM Re: best place to live
Chloe's mom Offline

Thanks so much for everyone who posted!
I'm not familar with Dr. Paller but will look him up! I need to get our daughter properly diagnose, she is adopted. My husband has Ichthyosis V, so we have been doing the same treatment for him on her, natural not meds. She has the scales on the front legs and scalp, with dry skin all over. The plastic wrap treatment that my husband uses are quite difficult for her as she sweats alot and tends to be more warmer that most people. In the fall/winter, I feel like it is a losing battle to keep her skin moist, or under control. Her toes are all cracking/bleeding and her scalp gets so bad. Robin

Quote:
Originally posted by rodkarbrown:
Hi There:

WE are in Rochelle Illinois so not too far down the road from you! Our daughter has Netherton's and Florida is not good for her. Just thought I would let you know! Do you happen to go to Dr Paller in Chicago??

Karla

#6337 - 11/23/06 05:55 PM Re: best place to live
rodkarbrown Offline

Loc: Rochelle IL USA
Hi Robin:

Where is your daughter adopted from? Our daughter is adopted from Haiti! Dr Paller is a lady....Amy Paller. Let me know if you want her phone number.

We went to Mayo Clinic and saw Dr Patricia Whitman for the diagnosis. She is wonderful!! I have her number too, if you would like!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Karla

#6338 - 11/24/06 04:15 PM Re: best place to live
Chloe's mom Offline

Haiti! Wow, my girlfriend just adopted two children from there. They live in Texas but we will be seeing them at Christmas time, I can't wait! I would very much like Dr. Paller's number, THANKS! Was she helpful and know alot about rare skin diseases? Chloe is adopted from China. She is such a blessing to our family. Robin
Quote:
Originally posted by rodkarbrown:
Hi Robin:

Where is your daughter adopted from? Our daughter is adopted from Haiti! Dr Paller is a lady....Amy Paller. Let me know if you want her phone number.

We went to Mayo Clinic and saw Dr Patricia Whitman for the diagnosis. She is wonderful!! I have her number too, if you would like!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Karla

#6339 - 11/24/06 07:20 PM Re: best place to live
Promiseland_dup1 Offline

Just as I thought ... If your adopted child is from China, she most likely has severe Vulgaris or X-linked. Not saying that Chinese cannot have Lamellar or CIE, but Vulgaris and maybe X-linked are so PREVALENT in parts of China, compared to their distribution in the population of other parts of the world, that is mind-boggling.

It is good that she can sweat. As long as she can sweat, the discomfit of prickly itch would be held at bay. But whether she can sweat without the help of the wraps, etc., is an important issue to address. Winter would be really difficult for her in the midwest. If the scales build-up get so bad that she cannot sweat, there would a constant high risk of heat intolerance (prickly itch) when she does need to sweat, such as when she is active in the cold weather. All steps would be needed to help her exfoliate in the winters.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Laura Phillips, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information