Topic Options
#25403 - 11/10/09 03:59 PM Dead Skin Dissolving Products
livinonaprayer Offline

Loc: Indiana
I recently used a face product on my face and part of my body and hoping somebody knows of a product that is similar that can be purchased at a reasonable price. Some of the face cosmetics are very expensive. It was called Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Facial Peel with Celluzyme. I paid $12 for a 1.7 oz. jar on clearance because it was discontinued and the regular price was $25. Both prices are still a lot so I will only use it on my face but it is supposed to contain 24 applications for the face and you use it 2x a week.
I am hopeful because it made my face and the spot on my leg, arm and shoulder where I tested it look good. I had to use it again on those couple test spots on my body but I think it was really lifting off the scale instead of just "taming the flakes" because the scales were separating from each other and I could very visibly see them and could rub them off after the shower during that window of time when my skin was slightly damp and my hands caused some friction to rub them off. I have found that really greasy ointment and lotions might be soothing for me, but I don't like my skin to have any oil on it after a shower because it's easier to rub off the skin when it's just damp with water and not yet moisturized. It took longer on my legs than shoulder because it seemed like the scales were on there "tighter". On my legs, even the thigh area too - not just the shin where the scales are more noticeable. It was is if after the scales separated from each other, I could peel up or rub off the edges and then they would shrink each day and the middle part would be the last to come off. It worked from the outside in. What was so encouraging to me was that the skin under the scale did not look old. It looked nice. I tried to hide during my "shedding process" because it really looked bad while it was coming off and took some days. I don't know how long the results will last. I would love to try this over my whole body, but that is way too expensive. The packaging says it uses CelluZyme and states "This one-step self-neutralizing facial peel with CelluZyme works with skin's natural pH to gently reveal newer, fresher skin. Dermatologist proven to deliver the rapid skin refining benefits of a professional 20-35% glycolic facial peel without irritation." The box says it is acid-free. I also tried a Tropical Fruit Face Scrub from C.O. Bigelow last year that I remember it contained Pineapple and Papaya and the jar said fruit enyzmes dissolve dead skin cells and I think now that it might have given me similar results but I didn't realize it then because I also thought it made my skin dry since it was so flaky, but possibly it was just helping remove the dead skin. I think these type products take patience because the skin looks so bad when it's starting to come off and might require several applications but maybe with consistent use it won't look as bad as it does when they first start to shed. I am hoping that someone knows of a product with fruit enzymes or other dead skin dissolving properties that are less expensive and are designed for the whole body. If anyone knows of any, please let me know.
I don't bother with doctors anymore. I was told there is nothing I can do about the lack of sweating and the appearance of my skin is just cosmetic. The standard advice for years was "take quick cool showers, don't shower every day, and moisturize with thick heavy ointments and creams". From my experience, for my skin, I do better with hotter longer showers or baths and then rubbing the heck out of my damp skin to rub off the skin that will come off and then put on an AHA lotion. Salt and sugar scrubs just irritate and scratch my skin and help with looser flakes, but I need something to "unstick" the hard stuck scales. I thought at one time I heard something about baking soda. Has anyone heard of that?

I hope there is some type of natural product out there capable of dissolving dead skin cells to make them easier to remove that work faster than the 12% lactic acid. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have given up on anything to help my hands and feet but I am optimistic about something for the rest of my body. Don't know why, but I read that people with acne scars recommend this product.
Thank you!

The ingredients are: water, glycerin, mucor miehei extract, polyethylene, microcrystalline cellulose, pentylene glycol, methyl gluceth-20, glycereth-26, sodium citrate, xanthan gum, polysorbate 20, butylene gylcol, cellulose gum, phenoxyethanol., methylparaben, ethylparaben, buytylparaben, propylparaben, isobutylparaben, calcium chloride, fragrance

The jar itself states caution: this product contains mushroom protein

#25420 - 11/11/09 09:15 PM Re: Dead Skin Dissolving Products [Re: livinonaprayer]
livinonaprayer Offline

I called Neutrogena. The Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Facial Peel was discontinued. The replacement product is Neutrogena Ageless Restoratives 5 Minute Facial. I looked for it in the store. The UPC is 7050102561. The exfoliating ingredient that worked so well for me is called Mucor Miehei Extract and is a mushroom protein. It is expensive - $27.99 for a 1.7 oz. jar. The jar states use 2x per week and contains 24 applications, so it should last for 12 weeks if only used on the face. I used more of the original product (Advanced Solutions Facial Peel) that I bought for $12 that was discontinued and now my face is flake free. I can finally put a pressed powder on my face and not see any flakes. A half to one jar would probably cover the whole body but would be very expensive. They do not have a body product containing that ingredient, but I'm going to email them and ask them to! Also, in CVS, I noticed Neutrogena had something called a Total Skin Renewal. It looks like a micro dermabrasion product for the face that uses puffs with that same ingredient in them. I'm going to watch for sales and coupons or CVS extra buicks to try it out. Maybe Walmart is cheaper - or eBay! Also, I don't know if all of you have access to the little independent stores that receive shelf pull and discontinued merchandise, but they had some near my home. Just be sure to check the expiration date on the bottom. In this area, people call them "banana box" stores.

#25556 - 11/28/09 12:08 AM Re: Dead Skin Dissolving Products [Re: livinonaprayer]
livinonaprayer Offline

If anyone is interested, you can find this at Big Lots now for $10.50 (just starting arriving there at Big Lots this month). It is in a Blue Box. The one I found had an expiration date of 03/2011. As I said, it is expensive, but if used only on your face, should last 12 weeks.

I also found something called Alpha Hydrox AHA Exfoliating Cream that comes in a 2 oz. tube for $2.80 at Big Lots. It says it is fragrance free and you do not wash it off. I guess it is a type of moisturizer. The tube states it has 8% glycolic AHA. I haven't tried it yet.

#25671 - 12/21/09 04:51 PM Re: Dead Skin Dissolving Products [Re: livinonaprayer]
livinonaprayer Offline

I tried another product with a higher concentration of mucor miehei extract called Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Acne Mark Fading Peel (smells horrible - almost like a mold). I thought it might work better since it was stronger and tried it on my hands. It did nothing to help the thickness and dryness of my hands but it actually made a small skin colored wart that I had on my index finger for a few years turn white and disappear over a period of a week. Not what I was looking for but an interesting benefit and I'm glad the wart is gone (has been gone now for a few weeks and you can't even tell it was ever there.

If anyone else has tried an at home chemical peel, I would love to hear what type you used and what your results were. I read there are several types peels (this article mentions some types used in doctor's offices) but maybe there is some similiar on the market. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/beauty/skin-treatments/chemical-peels.htm

#28719 - 11/30/12 12:11 AM Re: Dead Skin Dissolving Products [Re: livinonaprayer]
Schenectady2tobe Offline

livinonprayer, i suggest that you exfoliate your skin with a salt scrub or exfoliating gloves. you should do that at least once a week to avoid all of the dead skin buildup.

#31216 - 09/30/21 11:27 AM Re: Dead Skin Dissolving Products [Re: livinonaprayer]
jiuer7844 Offline

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information