Topic Options
#29 - 08/14/00 12:04 PM LacHydrin / Amlactin Use : Blisters Between Fingers
Ichthyosaur Offline

When i first started using LH, I found that I could easily peel off skin between my fingers. But after about 6 months of use the skin has sort of hardened into a darker color, and is no longer 'peelable'. Now I'm getting mild blisters and raw skin in the "crotches" of my fingers and in between the fingers too. Only on my left hand, though.

#30 - 08/14/00 12:22 PM Re: LacHydrin / Amlactin Use : Blisters Between Fingers
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
I don't know about the blistering you're seeing, but parts of your description (that it's not as peelable as it was before when you first starting using LacHydrin), sound like it's not working as well as it was before.

I don't know how much 'real' scientific research has been done on this, but I know there is a lot of anecdotal evidence (stories from individuals about their experiences, but not within the context of a statistically valid study sample)that any kind of creams they use on their skin to treat ichthyosis lose their effectiveness over time. I'm definitely one of those people. I've got a handful of creams that I like, and I need to rotate them every so often. I might use one one for 2 or 3 or 4 months (however long it takes until I notice that it's not working so well) and then I switch to another. It might be 6 months or a year within my rotation before I come back to the first cream again. And when I do come back to it (after a few months' rest), I usually find that it works better again...and then I start the cycle again.

I also find that my skin in general goes through cycles. Sometimes it just seems to get worse (sometimes I can attribute it to increased stress, or using the very same product for months, or dry winter weather, or some other specific factor...sometimes I can't attribute it to anything at all, it's just worse). This is something else that alot of people with ichthyosis talk about, but I don't think is well understood or documented in a formal scientific environment. Maybe you're just going through a 'bad' cycle?

I know the feeling though, and it's very frustrating. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

#31 - 09/13/00 09:44 AM Re: LacHydrin / Amlactin Use : Blisters Between Fingers
Steven Sobkowski Offline

Loc: Tamarac, FL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ichthyosaur:
When i first started using LH, I found that I could easily peel off skin between my fingers. But after about 6 months of use the skin has sort of hardened into a darker color, and is no longer 'peelable'. Now I'm getting mild blisters and raw skin in the "crotches" of my fingers and in between the fingers too. Only on my left hand, though.

Ichthyosaur,
The same thing happened to me when I first started on LacHydrin. I was only on it for about 2 weeks. In between my fingers also got real thin and peeled very easily and the "crotch" situation was the same experience you had. I got off of it, and luckily tried NeoStrata Problem Dry Skin Regular Strength formula which was much better for me. In between the fingers are fine now, but I must admit that NeoStrat cream had the same affect on the "crotch". I take care to avoid that area and put my perscription face cream onto that instead. Drop me an email / post if you have any questions. Take Care ..
Steven Sobkowski
sobkowsk@bellsouth.net

Moderator:  Laura Phillips, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information