Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#26526 - 06/21/10 09:37 PM Re: chance of passing it on? [Re: ichthydad]
Ing Offline

I realize this is an extremely late reply so my apologies.

In response on whether or not I would rather have not been born than have lived with Ich I would say yes I would rather have lived with ich. However, At times, particularly in my younger years it is been a painful life as we all know children can be quite cruel sometimes. Even in my adult life it has caused me pain and suffering and while it is something that makes me unique its not something im necessarily happy with.

I would love to have children, A family is one of my dreams but when I have children I would much rather have to live with this condition and go through the pain of it myself than to have my children go through it as well. I still do have every intention of getting married at some point and having children, I simply worry for their sake.

#27040 - 10/30/10 11:57 PM Re: chance of passing it on? [Re: Promiseland]
momdoc284 Offline

I have IV and saw a genetics counselor (for another issue) who said my chances of passing it were about 50%.

#27480 - 03/10/11 01:26 AM Re: chance of passing it on? [Re: Promiseland]
ichthydad Offline

Loc: Lethbridge, AB, Canada
Promiseland,

As you mentioned, my post was addressed to Ing, not to you, but since you decided you had to add your vitriolic verbage to this discussion, I would like to add a few points for you to consider.

- You seem to me quite opinionated on a sensitive subject and seem to feel the need to be "heard". I would recommend counselling to find the root of your dissent.

- You are obviously well-read as your vocabulary is quite advanced. However, if you are a psychologist, geneticist, or even otherwise a moderator for this group, I would much prefer you'd come forward and state this. If you're not, then like the rest of us, you are merely sharing an opinion. One that is from your viewpoint, full of inference to your life experience. That said, it is your opinion and yours alone.

- I will address your next two points in reverse order, because it is my opinion that, you must have read my post that way. My boys are very well adjusted. One is an adult, well past puberty, the other in the final stages of puberty. My eldest has shared that he does not wish to have children, my youngest is exactly the opposite. I love and support each decision as their own.

Your 'perspective' as you called it, was really a judgement made on a few lines of text. You don't know me, so please do not judge me, for that matter from my perspective it would be best if you reserved 'your opinions' as they were in themselves, as you termed, "Vitriolic". (for those who do not know what the word, 'vitriolic' means. It is defined as vit·ri·ol·ic (v t r - l k). adj. 1. Of, similar to, or derived from a vitriol. 2. Bitterly scathing; caustic: vitriolic criticism.) It seems to me from your comments (in this and other threads) that your life experiences have made you that way. I am neither a psychologist, nor a geneticist, so I will not make any further statements to that effect.

I NEVER stipulated that someone with IV or LI SHOULD have children. The only thing I am adamant about is that just because a person may be afflicted, it should not prevent them from having children if they so chose to do so.

- My analogy was perfectly sound. No one on God's green Earth is perfect. Everyone has some level of iniquity. That is what makes us Human. I muse, that a person with your opinions, was probably the same type that agreed with the sterilization of people with mental retardation*.

*That last statement is merely an expression of what it means to submit a vitriolic argument. It was intended to be caustic, meant to shock. Why? Simply because I was shocked by how narrow-minded your comments to my threads really were, and I wanted to make my feelings about reading your post perfectly clear.

#27577 - 04/22/11 01:54 AM Re: chance of passing it on? [Re: ichthydad]
soulkeep Offline

Thank you suggest, but good things to come.

#27584 - 04/26/11 03:51 AM Re: chance of passing it on? [Re: ichthydad]
Promiseland Offline

Ichthydad,

Did I touch some politically correct sensitive nerve in you? That you have to be "vitriolic" in your response a year later? I say the same thing to you I said a year ago. Cheers.

#27854 - 08/03/11 05:07 AM I have owned two $1000 turbine setups [Re: Ing]
tuditdloevy Offline

spam

Edited by Hearsay (08/06/11 03:11 PM)

#29911 - 03/09/15 12:32 AM Re: chance of passing it on? [Re: Ing]
vangurd71 Offline

On the topic of 'passing it to next generation', it needs some background. I am going to bore you with a long story

Just like most children growing up, I wanted to be a professional athlete. I started playing soccer at my early childhood. I am from a tropical country, so the damp weather keeps the skin dehydrated. However, even in tropical country, it was difficult to play after September. Not to toot my own horn, but I was quite good at soccer. However, children asked me so many uncomfortable questions that I stopped playing soccer. Now that I look back being a middle aged man, I wish I was stronger to overcome those petty self-esteem issues.

Surprisingly, my skin started to improve(still quite scaly but it stopped bleeding). I started playing soccer again in my high school. Now, I discovered a new phenomena which became a huge issue. Overheating to a point that I passed out in the field at least dozens of times, that was the end of my soccer aspiration.

I started playing cricket as its fully dressed sports and physical requirement was a lot less than soccer. I distinctly remember, when I was 17 years old, I was playing for my high school, and I was so tired that I needed a runner(runner does all the running, you just bat the ball). It was so embarrassing that I took myself out of the team.

I did not have that many friends growing up, but the limited friends that I had, they were extremely loyal. However, I used to take their compassion as a sign of pity( I know self-esteem issue). I always treated my close friends with harsh words.

After I graduated from high school, I immigrated to United States. Usually first generation immigrant has serious confidence issues. However, exact opposite took place for me. In my under grad years I became very confident(or learned to mask my self-esteem issues). I started to excel in school and I had a normal youth. However, I was still bit nervous about relationship. I did have a few brief relationship with few amazing girls. However, I noticed that I only started pursue women during summer. Also, I really started having a negative opinion about relationship in my head. I would just pursue one night stand or brief encounters.

I moved to New York City, and continued with adult life. Not interested in any relationship, and just looking for one night stand. However, I also discovered meeting women became much difficult as oppose to college(hard to believe considering NYC). At any rate, I continued in that path for almost 5 more years.

Then one night I met a girl through a mutual friend. Without going into details, we were perfect for each other. Fast forward to six years, she became pregnant last year. At the same time she had further academic aspiration. We spoke and I convinced her that for her career aspirations, a child is a wrong choice for the time being. She had an abortion. However, I knew the reason I convinced her to have an abortion because I cannot consciously put a child through what I endured in my life.

I am no longer with the girl and I think its for the best.

#29914 - 03/18/15 06:30 PM Re: chance of passing it on? [Re: vangurd71]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
Wow...thanks for sharing. I hope that you have better luck in the future and can at least see through the people on this board that good relationships ARE possible!

#30445 - 08/23/16 12:32 PM Re: chance of passing it on? [Re: Ing]
Derydeartact Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: Ing
hmm, after a quick bit of research there are some cases of ichthyosis in japan and there is even a group called the "japanese families of ichthyosis" which meets yearly in a reunion

So, the situation is probably not much different then here, few people have heard of it but most dont question it once you explain what it is.

I've never heard about that and I've never seen nobody here doing it (where I live). But I honestly think that it would be a good idea...

#30446 - 08/23/16 12:33 PM Re: chance of passing it on? [Re: Ing]
Derydeartact Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
oh yeah... I did have seen that the post has been written a long time ago..

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information