Topic Options
#28912 - 05/06/13 12:26 AM 4 year old Eating Skin!
sophiesmum Offline

Loc: Coffs Harbour Australia
Hi everyone,
My 4 year old, Sophie has developed a habit of picking off pieces of skin and eating it. At first she seemed to be using her teeth to pull off shedding pieces from her hands, but it has now turned into pulling a piece off anywhere and deliberately putting it in her mouth.
I have talked to her (very casually) about why she is doing this, she tells me its because she doesn't like looking at it. I have told her that it may make her sick and she should try very hard to put it in the bin.
Since I have brought it up she now tries to hide when she's doing it.
Her childcare centre have suggested she keep a 'special' little purse/pouch with her to put bits of skin in as opposed to eating it. (novelty value I guess) so far its not doing any good.
Its a long shot, but I thought I would ask if anyone else out there has experienced this? Thanks

#28994 - 08/11/13 08:06 PM Re: 4 year old Eating Skin! [Re: sophiesmum]
Kanga Offline

Loc: Queensland, Australia
G'day Sophie,

I am 35 years old and I will confess to doing the same thing from time to time, but I can't really tell you why I do it. What I can say is that when I am out and I pick at my skin, I tend to put the piece of skin in question down the top of my shirt. I do that to prevent leaving skin laying around even though it still happens at times.

It is obviously not a great habit and something you could try to stop, but I can also say that it is not the worst thing young Sophie could be doing.

All the best in getting her to stop!

#29013 - 09/12/13 02:19 AM Re: 4 year old Eating Skin! [Re: sophiesmum]
sophiesmum Offline

Loc: Coffs Harbour Australia
Thanks Jeffrey,
We've done our best to completely ignore it lately which has seemed to work. Previously she seemed intent on pulling or biting off every scale she could find, at the moment she seems to just go for the large bits that are bothering her which you can't blame her for.
When I see that she's chewing on it I just ask her nicely to put it in the bin.
Thanks for the reply
Cathy

#30444 - 08/22/16 07:34 AM Re: 4 year old Eating Skin! [Re: sophiesmum]
Derydeartact Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I'm 32 years old and I do the same thing... I mean, when there's the burned skin or the one that is made after an injury or cut. I am rarely doing it since I start realizing that I really shouldn't, but when I was 4 or even 14 it was a normal habit for me. I just think that she will stop, but when she's going to be older.

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information