Topic Options
#29200 - 06/06/14 04:55 PM 50 year old's advice for parents
jammi Offline

As a lifer with icthyosis and keratosis vulgaris, I wanted to pass along to parents the best advice I ever got. Stay away from Laurel Sulfate. This is the ingredient most products use to make things lather up. I started by switching to soaps such as Yardley, and shampoo by Cibu which are sulfate free. I now try to stay away from as many chemicals as I can. I discovered Lush.com products which are ALL handmade with natural ingredients. Using their Buffy body butter, I have been able to control 99% of my diseases.
In fairness... I live in So Florida and I know the sun helps,
I'm also 50 and it does improve with age, but I highly recommend trying this Buffy body butters by Lush. I think one of their main ingredients is coconut oil, so maybe that on its own would help.
The school years were tough but dealing with it gets easier with age. My favorite line when a remark was made was 'we can't all be perfect like you'.

#29909 - 02/10/15 10:05 PM Re: 50 year old's advice for parents [Re: jammi]
robbo Offline

Loc: sydney, australia
+1 to this advice from another 50 year old.
Now I stay away from soap altogether. Most of the skin care product companies make some sort of liquid wash product that is better for our type of skin. I use Hamilton's body wash but you need to find something made in your country to keep the cost down.

The same idea applies to any lotion you use. Find out what works for your skin, and find a local source of lowest cost. I have found a cream that comes in 500g pump jars and ends up costing about 1/3 of the overall cost compared to alternative creams that only come in 100g tubes, which last me about 3 days in the winter.

Edited by robbo (02/10/15 10:06 PM)

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information