Topic Options
#29124 - 02/16/14 04:36 PM Sunshine
jinstone Offline

Loc: Woking
I believe with Psoriasis exposures to intense white light can assist. I find with short periods of sunshine my skin can exfoliate creating quite a bit of relief. Does any one know if similar exercises with brief exposures to white light have been trial tested with ichthyosis sufferers any feed back on effects?
Regards
Jeremy Instone

#29143 - 02/27/14 02:13 AM Re: Sunshine [Re: jinstone]
Guppy101 Offline

Loc: Sale, Victoria, Australia
Sunlight definitely helps a lot with Ichthyosis Vulgaris . Helps exfoliate, and a good tan helps with over all appearance. Skin texture improves a lot. I simply can't get enough Sun.

Edited by Guppy101 (02/27/14 02:24 AM)

#29152 - 03/01/14 04:17 PM Re: Sunshine [Re: jinstone]
Heckel Offline

Loc: East Tennessee
Guppy101
Hi, I was glad to see your comment on sunlight. I agree. I'm going to the beach (North Carolina) in a couple of weeks. We're staying one week.

Any suggestions about the sun while I'm there? The latest tip I got recently was to put on my tanning oil about 6 o'clock and go out for a walk down the beach. I can still get a good tan even though the sun is scorching hot.

I'm 60 years old and I've had this skin disease all my life. Up until the last few years, I lived at the beach and my skin never looked better. No so lately. It's all I can do to try to keep the ich off.

What do you use for your dry skin? Do you live near the beach?

Great to hear you are a sunworshipper too.

#29153 - 03/01/14 08:55 PM Re: Sunshine [Re: Heckel]
Guppy101 Offline

Loc: Sale, Victoria, Australia
Hi Heckel.

I live in Australia, and am about a 10 minute drive away from the beach.
Sorry to hear your condition has worsened lately. I find that it takes a few weeks to get skin looking healthy again, if it's been neglected for a while.

I find doing Cardiovascular Exercise like Mountain Bike riding or Tennis will bring out a good " Sweat " and will improve your skin condition a lot faster. Also Healthy eating is Essential, ( no Junk food ). I basically follow a Mediterranean Diet.

For moistureisers I use Coconut oil and occasionally Vaseline after a long Bath and scrub.

Warm Regards. Richard.

Edited by Guppy101 (03/01/14 09:27 PM)

#29908 - 02/10/15 08:47 PM Re: Sunshine [Re: jinstone]
robbo Offline

Loc: sydney, australia
Last weekend in was 34 degrees here in the Aussie summer and I went out and mowed the lawn at midday. My family thought I was nuts, but I had a magnificent sweat and this week my XLI skin is excellent. One summer I went for a 15 mile bicycle ride in 45 degree heat. Dangerous for my health, but great for my skin. There is no better moisturiser than sweat....

BUT take heed that really scaly skin does not sweat well, and so this method can't be used to treat scaly skin. Only once the scales have been successfully treated with creams and stuff and the skin is good can the sweat method be used.

Edited by robbo (02/10/15 08:49 PM)

#30450 - 08/26/16 11:07 AM Re: Sunshine [Re: Guppy101]
Derydeartact Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: Guppy101
Hi Heckel.

I live in Australia, and am about a 10 minute drive away from the beach.
Sorry to hear your condition has worsened lately. I find that it takes a few weeks to get skin looking healthy again, if it's been neglected for a while.

I find doing Cardiovascular Exercise like Mountain Bike riding or Tennis will bring out a good " Sweat " and will improve your skin condition a lot faster. Also Healthy eating is Essential, ( no Junk food ). I basically follow a Mediterranean Diet.

For moistureisers I use Coconut oil and occasionally Vaseline after a long Bath and scrub.

Warm Regards. Richard.

I've also heard that Mediterranean Diet is working very well for this condition

Moderator:  Laura Phillips, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information