Topic Options
#27606 - 05/02/11 09:25 AM Help with Ichtyosis and a tattoo question
taskilator Offline

Hello,

I'm currently a 24-year old man, having lamellar ichtyosis and i was wondering if getting a tattoo is possible. Of course it's possible, but will it stay in my skin? I don't have big or large scales of skin except for my scalp. I have no normal skin anywhere in my body, skin tears from everywhere. My skin kind of drops and shreds itself, I don't need to take it off myself (Still, I scrub my face in the mornings but I will return to that topic later in this text).

I think that the problem could be that my skin isn't smooth from anywhere actually. But I was thinking that if I scrubbed the area of the tattoo in the morning before getting it, would that help? I've been told that the tattoo should stay since it goes to a deeper layer of the skin, not on the top layer which shreds. I understand that layers of skin (I have very thin skin layers) go on top of the tattoo later, but will the tattoo also come off with the layers? If that is the only problem, I could easily keep the tattoo area scrubbed and visible wink

Another thing. I think I need help with my morning routines. Every single morning I take a bath. Every second day it lasts 1,5 to 2,5 hours and every other day I can just smoothen the remaining little areas which I didn't notice the day before, lasting 30 minutes. Is there anything to do to fasten this process? Right now I'm using washcloths to remove the dead skin from the face, but I'd like to know if there is a better way since this can sometimes be painful or very tedious. It's hard to wake up 2 hours in advance than anyone else to go to work. Makes me tired. I just ordered a footscrubber and a pumice stone as adviced on the site, but I don't believe in their effect before I see it myself. Not sure if it helps me either. For some reason, usually the forehead is the most difficult to scrub, the skin just sometimes doesn't come off. And I can't leave it there if the rest of the face is scrubbed.

Thanks in advance for any tips..

#27607 - 05/02/11 11:18 AM Re: Help with Ichtyosis and a tattoo question [Re: taskilator]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
We recently had a thread going about tattoos that you can probably search on and find but I can summarize a little for you. I have EHK and have a tattoo on my more normal skin on my lower back and have had no problems. My dad has two and one is right on his scaly skin and nearly 50 years later, it's still visible and has never "come off".
I have heard people say that they worry about them coming off with the layers but I just don't see how that is possible. It is applied at a deeper level than the scaling and while it might become a little obscured if the skin gets too thick, it won't come off.
I really encourage you to talk to a good tattoo artist. The artist that did mine spent some time talking with me and he assured me that no matter where I had my tattoo applied, it wasn't going anywhere.

#28168 - 01/03/12 11:38 AM Re: Help with Ichtyosis and a tattoo question [Re: taskilator]
gallinaspeed Offline

Loc: New Jersey
glori, did u notice the skin being worse at all after it healed ? I have been wanting to get one for years now, but am just so afriad it will bring something else to the table

#28175 - 01/04/12 01:55 PM Re: Help with Ichtyosis and a tattoo question [Re: taskilator]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
Not really...I had it done on the clear skin on my lower back and I do notice that it gets a light layer of dry skin on it that easily comes off in the shower. It has never developed any real scaling and still looks great!

#29052 - 11/25/13 05:44 PM Re: Help with Ichtyosis and a tattoo question [Re: taskilator]
eve24 Offline

Edited by eve24 (11/27/13 10:05 AM)

Moderator:  Laura Phillips, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information