Topic Options
#29030 - 10/21/13 07:58 PM Made My Own Lotion!
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
It's already cold and dry here and my skin has just been really dry and tight. So I got to poking around on Pinterest...
I found a LOT of people who are using plain old...Crisco! I figured I have used a lot worse over the years so I gave it a shot.
I didn't use a recipe, I just mixed vegetable shortening, some Moroccan Argon oil to thin it out and some vanilla to make it smell nice. It has no smell at all really unless you add something to it.
I have to say that I am really pleased with it. I used some one night last week and the next day, when I did my soak and scrub, a LOT more skin came off in a much shorter amount of time. I re-applied after my soak and I stayed soft and hydrated until the next time I showered.
It might be a little much in the summer months, but this is really working for me right now!

#29038 - 10/27/13 02:31 AM Re: Made My Own Lotion! [Re: Glori]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Wow! I'm loving your ingenuity!
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#29042 - 10/30/13 01:44 AM Re: Made My Own Lotion! [Re: Glori]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
I also found a recipe to make a "cream soap" with Crisco and melted soap and oil and by gosh, I am going to make it! This may be the least painful winter I have had in a long time!

#29895 - 11/03/14 08:40 PM Re: Made My Own Lotion! [Re: Glori]
Ekim1218 Offline

I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter with EI. We have tried almost every type of over the counter lotion on the market, all with varying degrees of success. Our troublesome spots are the buildup behind her knees, her armpits, her groin, and her neck. We recently tried SR Lotion for the first time - I saw an ad for it on the FIRST website and thought I would give it a shot. For the past month, we have been using it, mixed in with aloe lotion as the directions suggested. Although we were somewhat skeptical, I can honestly say it has definitely helped our daughter exfoliate alot of the buildup, particularly in her armpits and her groin and neck - essentially where the skin is naturally soft. I am writing this for other parents who maybe trying different kinds of lotions and are looking for another option to try - I would highly recommend to try it out. I am not one to normally plug a product, but this was something I felt compelled to share. The website is www.srlotion.com, check it out. Hopefully your experience will be the same as ours. Wishing you the best!

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information