Topic Options
#28747 - 01/01/13 02:34 PM Would you still use the chatroom here?
Laura Phillips Offline

Loc: Detroit, MI
Hi all,

So, we're finally getting around to updating the website. Shortly before Christmas, we did get the lastest update to this bulletin board software installed. That included some security patches, as well as integration with spam-protection software...so hopefully that cuts down on the spam going forward.

It was an easy decision to spend the money to upgrade the bulletin board. We'll always keep this bulletin board going, to preserve the archive of information that people have accumulated here. It's much less clear to us whether to continue to pay for a chatroom.

The license for the chatroom expired late in 2012 and we have not yet renewed it. You can check it out following the link that's in our chatroom page: http://www.ichthyosis.com/Chatroom.htm It's called 123FlashChat.

Right now, we're not inclined to renew it (it is relatively expensive). But, we would if we thought people in the ichthyosis community would actually use it.

I have a feeling Facebook and other IM methods have largely replaced the need for this kind of chatroom.

Anyway, thought we'd survey the group. Your thoughts on whether we should consider to host somekind of chatroom on icthyosis.com? And if we do, do you have any thoughts on whether 123FlashChat is the best host?

Much appreciate your input. Very Happy New Year!

Laura

#28749 - 01/02/13 06:51 PM Re: Would you still use the chatroom here? [Re: Laura Phillips]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
I think the chatroom is not that useful and doesn't work as well as the forum. If people want to talk, Skype and Facebook have largely taken over. Once the conversation is done, the info isn't saved, which really defeats the purpose of keeping this forum alive.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

Moderator:  Laura Phillips, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information