Topic Options
#28209 - 01/20/12 11:01 AM Allergy or normal?
010510b Offline

I Am from the uk and have just discovered this website and cant believe how great it is ! My son Kye is 20months old and was referred to great ormand st hospital when he was a few weeks old as he was born a collodian baby. they diagnosed him with nonbullous congenital ichthyosiform erythroderma at 3months and he was discharged. He has been coping with his skin very well up until recently. About 2-3 weeks ago he started to get some red raised bumps on his inner left thigh which eventually turned into a smooth pinkish patch of skin this didn't seem to bother him. However last weekend on the 13th he got the same raised bumps on his other inner thigh and around his genital area and he developed a high fever and was shaking. He was put in hospital and treated on a course of antibiotics for a skin infection. His blood tests came back negative for bacteria and they put it down to possibly a virus and was discharged. Since then the bumps have been spreading all around the genital area and very quickly and some of it is turning into the pinkish looking patches of skin but it is also becoming sore for kye. I Have attached some pictures of the effected area and was wondering if there was any way you could tell us what this could be or if it is a normal part of his condition as we are not sure what it is. We have also seen some pictures on the internet of his condition that look very similar to what he has developed and appears to be in the same area. Kye has no other symptoms such as coughs or colds and his temperature is back to normal, i was wondering if this could be an allergic reaction that has caused his skin to flare up?

#28211 - 01/20/12 03:13 PM Re: Allergy or normal? [Re: 010510b]
Elliot Sullivan Offline

Hi. Could you load the pictures. My son has had various skin issues come up, so I might recoginse yours. I will help if I can.

Thanks

#28214 - 01/20/12 04:54 PM Re: Allergy or normal? [Re: Elliot Sullivan]
010510b Offline

Hi thanks im not sure how to upload pics as i am new to this but this is a link to the pics on photo bucket http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii609/becca010510/ thanks for replying would be great if you could help x

#28217 - 01/21/12 04:32 PM Re: Allergy or normal? [Re: 010510b]
Elliot Sullivan Offline

Hi. My guess would be bacteria / Yeast / Thrush. We had loads of problems. The issue is that all these nasty's build up with the creams in the nappy area. We found cleaning with cotton wool balls and warm water helped alot instead of wipes and creams. If this is the case, it will get better. However you should see your pediatric consultant locally to confirm. Also If you are being looked after at GOSH as we are your Derm Consultantant will respond if you contact their PA by fax or email. Hope this helps but please let me know. Many thanks.

#28221 - 01/22/12 12:58 PM Re: Allergy or normal? [Re: Elliot Sullivan]
010510b Offline

Hi thanks for the reply someone else suggested it was a yeast infection and it has already cleared up with anti fungal but thankyou very much for your help and support x

#28249 - 02/03/12 11:59 PM Re: Allergy or normal? [Re: 010510b]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeast most def...but I see its already cleared up smile

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information