Topic Options
#27949 - 09/21/11 08:39 AM Orthotics
Timbrell Offline

Loc: NY
Does anyone have experience with any kind of leg braces or orthotics for their child. My daughter who just turned one has started to wear DAFO's. She is suppose to wear them all day or as much as possible. She has been diagnosed with nb-CIE.
I was just wondering how her skin will hold up against wearing them. So far it has been ok but she hasen't been wearing them as much as she is suppose to. I am too nervous to have her wear them all day long.
When she was about 3 or 4 months old she had to wear 2 different braces(one for daytime and one for night time) on her hands/wrists. Her skin did not tolerate that well at all. Luckly she only had to wear them for a few months. Those were made out of different material though than her DAFO's. I only have my daughters experience to go off of.
If anyone has some insight I would love to hear it!

Edited by Timbrell (09/21/11 08:39 AM)

#28049 - 11/12/11 03:18 AM Re: Orthotics [Re: Timbrell]
MonkeyMama Offline

Loc: Georgia
Hi Timbrell.

My daughter wore SMOs and Sure Step SMOs from the time she was turned 1 until she turned 3 and a half. SMOs are shorter than DAFOs, but they are made out of the same material. Cate tolerated them pretty well and really complained more about the discomfort of them holding her body in place than the discomfort of them rubbing against her skin. We watched them quite a bit and checked daily to make sure that they weren't rubbing against her skin and causing problems. This helped to catch any potential problems before they turned into big problems. Whenever we saw a problem, we'd take them back to the orthotist to have them adjusted and everything was fine.

The best advice I can give is to actually have her wear them for as much of the time the docs recommend as possible. We felt like such bad parents for putting Cate in pain that we didn't put her in them as much as we were supposed to and she ended up having to wear them extra because of it. Then I REALLY had mommy guilt! She's out of them for 6 more months before we have to go back to find out if she gets put back in SMOs or if she moves up to AFOs... it's possible that she might even be finished with them all together ~ that's what we're hoping for!!

If you don't mind me asking, why does your daughter have to wear them?

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information