Topic Options
#27586 - 04/27/11 02:54 PM Sores
Lisa71 Offline

Loc: Westlake, OH United States
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted anything in a very long time...I guess everything has been "ok" in our world. But something has changed in the past few days. Our 6 year old daughter, Emma, has EHK. The last few days she has developed sores it seems from nothing. About a 1/2 dollar in size, very painful, and red. Is this something that anyone has seen before? What is causing them? I am very concerned and thought about taking her to our Derm. But, I thought I'd check here first....thank you very much for any help.
Lisa

#27587 - 04/27/11 02:58 PM Re: Sores [Re: Lisa71]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
As a child and through my teen years, I used to just wake up one morning with random blisters or sores. Sometimes they turned into a full-blown infection and sometimes they didn't. There seemed to be no cause (no injury or friction) they just happened.
I was told that this would lessen after puberty and they really did.
They truly were random...I woke up with a big sore on the back of my heel and couldn't wear shoes for three days and one was right on my bicep and neither had a real cause.
This probably wasn't helpful, but at least you know it's not necessarily unusual!

#27592 - 04/28/11 05:47 PM Re: Sores [Re: Glori]
Lisa71 Offline

Thank you for your reply..it does help to know someone else has gone through the same thing. Some have appeared on her face...and she is so sensitive about this. Thank you again!

#27599 - 04/29/11 11:44 AM Re: Sores [Re: Lisa71]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
When this kind of thing happened, my doctor often prescribed an anti-inflammatory and prescription Benadryl. Generally the swelling was so bad that even if there was a blister, it could not be drained because the skin underneath was swollen into a lump. Of course, that was a little later in life...in the 70's, they just gave me that big brown bottle of liquid codeine smile

#27604 - 05/01/11 12:39 PM Re: Sores [Re: Glori]
Lisa71 Offline

Thank you for the replies...I ended up taking Emma to the ER last night (the urgent care was closed) to figure out if she has an infection (one of the blisters looked pus filled). Unfortunately, they did not help much. I received a prescription for bactroban and they did a culture of a few of her open wounds. I have read posts here back to 2002 looking for answers. Emma says it hurts to just walk, which breaks my heart. I put her on the couch after applying the ointment. Not sure what else to do. I wish I knew what was causing these sores/blisters so I can prevent them. My derm wants to see us this week, so I'll see what she suggests. I think I will give her some pain meds to help..she is just so sad.... frown

#27656 - 05/28/11 01:19 AM Re: Sores [Re: Lisa71]
Aussie Mum Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Lisa, it is so horrible to see our kids in pain. My daughter is younger but she also gets random blisters/sores from time to time. We put bactroban on them straight away and so far she has had only one infection.

Not sure how else you can help her other than with pain releif. I know how helpless you feel.

I would be interested to hear what your derm said and I hope she is up and about feeling better now.

Amy

Edited by Aussie Mum (05/28/11 01:20 AM)

#27860 - 08/04/11 12:44 PM Re: Sores [Re: Aussie Mum]
Abbey's mom Offline

Loc: Nome Alaska
New to this chat, was on it years ago, My oldest Abbey was born with EHK and is now 13. Winters are so dry up here so she get's skin infections to here she needs to be on antibiotics, bactraban, oxy's and lot's of adaptics and wraps. Summer she gets water blisters and all year out she lets out a strong odor even though she bathes daily. Any idea's on how I can not make it as strong? I had to pull her out of school because of the kids picking on her, the school system sucks up here.

#27871 - 08/06/11 07:18 PM Re: Sores [Re: Abbey's mom]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Have you tried adding bleach to the bath water? It just takes a capful, but it really helps with both odor and infection control.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#27919 - 08/30/11 12:45 AM Re: Sores [Re: Lisa71]
MamaH2 Offline

Loc: Virginia
No idea, but I'd love to find out for down the road with my 2 y/o little girl.
~Lizzy

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information