Topic Options
#27801 - 07/09/11 12:05 PM T-Sal / Salicylic acid in young children
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I was at the store last night looking for a new shampoo that might help with Brandyn's scalp scales. I have read here that T-sal works very well and I was about to buy it when I realized it has 3% salicylic acid in it. When Brandyn was a baby his derm warned us about this and said that we should NOT use this under any circumstance.

So I'm wondering at what age it's safe to use salicylic acid products without worrying about absorbtion issues? He just turned 3.

We have an appointment with his dermatologist in August but he is complaining that his scalp is itchy and the scales are particularly thick at the moment so I'd like to try it if possible. Thanks!!

#27802 - 07/09/11 05:44 PM Re: T-Sal / Salicylic acid in young children [Re: brandynsmum]
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
We've used that on our kids a few days a week from the time they were a few months old with no issues. Although, our current favorite is Paul Mitchell tea tree shampoo. I would imagine that any tea tree shampoo would work about the same. The only word of caution would be to not use it on a scalp after freshly combing scales off.

#27803 - 07/10/11 04:24 AM Re: T-Sal / Salicylic acid in young children [Re: Angel24755]
MonkeyMama Offline

Loc: Georgia
Oooh. I didn't know they said not to use it - we've been using it on Cate for about a year! It works great, though. smile

I'm interested to hear what the derms say in August!

#27831 - 07/24/11 12:45 AM Re: T-Sal / Salicylic acid in young children [Re: MonkeyMama]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
We have been using it since Kallie was about a year old as well, we only use it every other day as you can build up too much and it causes their ears to ring but since they can't communicate we just use it every other day. We have also been using DermaSmooth and it works WONDERS on Kallie's hair. We use it for two weeks on and two weeks off, and in between we use Salex.

I will have to try the tea tree shampoo, what is it?

#27839 - 07/25/11 06:40 PM Re: T-Sal / Salicylic acid in young children [Re: MomofPrincesses]
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Thanks all! I wasn't sure when we could start using it, I just remember the doctors saying we had to wait a few years. I went and bought a bottle and used it last night smile how long did it take you to see results?

Kati, is dermasmoothe prescription? I googled it and it seems to be prescription only so I will ask his derm for it on Aug. 2nd!

I'm also interested in the tea tree shampoo too smile

Thanks for all the info, I really need to get his scalp care under control because it's uncomfortable for him.

#27843 - 07/29/11 01:17 AM Re: T-Sal / Salicylic acid in young children [Re: brandynsmum]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
Yes it is Rx only!

#27848 - 07/30/11 03:15 AM Re: T-Sal / Salicylic acid in young children [Re: MomofPrincesses]
Amyd Offline

My son is 5 and we JUST got to see a pedi derm for the first time! TODAY! Until now we have done NOTHING for his skin. We are going for genetic testing in Sept. but the derm thinks he has x-linked. His scalp is the worst. I never take scales off. Do you guys use something to get them off? She ordered a RX shampoo but I hate to use meds on him at all...does tea tree shampoo work well??

#27869 - 08/06/11 07:09 PM Re: T-Sal / Salicylic acid in young children [Re: Amyd]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
It works, but it burns like crazy if you get it in your eyes, and also hurts really bad in cracks if there are any open sores.

I've generally had the best luck with dandruff shampoos.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#27917 - 08/30/11 12:37 AM Re: T-Sal / Salicylic acid in young children [Re: brandynsmum]
MamaH2 Offline

Loc: Virginia
Salicylic Acid can be absorbed and causes Reyes disease in children. It has the same chemical make-up as aspirin. Our dermatologist said that small amounts on small portions of skin, or for short amounts of time (like shampoo that is rinsed off) would not be systemically absorbed. Ivy has just started using T-Sal but she's never really had bad scales. I'm interested too in the tea tree oil shampoo...we use tto for a lot of things in our home. I'm more hesitant to get the salicylic acid creams that the derm prescribed
~Lizzy

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information