Topic Options
#27705 - 06/08/11 05:59 PM low oxygen levels in first year
~ Leonards Mom~ Offline

Loc: us
My son has ithyosis vulgaris and I was wondering if there is a connection between respitory problems in the first year or so and this disorder? Any comments or knowledge would help his feet use to be purple from his knees down!

#27707 - 06/08/11 10:37 PM Re: low oxygen levels in first year [Re: ~ Leonards Mom~]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
That would be highly unusual. Kids with IV do seem to be more prone to general allergies, of which asthma is a severe form, but generally, those with any type of ichthyosis don't have breathing problems unless they are severely dehydrated or overheated.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#27757 - 06/22/11 05:03 PM Re: low oxygen levels in first year [Re: Hearsay]
Laurensmom Offline

Loc: north billerica, massachusetts...
While I can not speak specifically about vulgaris, those types of ichthyosis with severe and heavy scaling present at birth (Harlequin for example) can often have respiratory complications secondary to restriction which can impact on lung development. This was true in our case, My daughter today continues to be followed by a pulmonologist as she present with a very reactive airway and is on respiratory medications as needed (allergies and illness).

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information