Topic Options
#27612 - 05/10/11 12:25 AM pajamas
kekonen Offline

Just wondering what type of pajama you put your little ones in. Annalie does best with long sleeves and long pants to keep her skin moist while she sleeps, but the 100% polyester footie pjs by Carters are getting to be too hot for her. I remember reading somewhere to try to only dress her in cotton. Any suggestions on pjs? Have you found that short sleeves/shorts tend to dry out your little ones more than keeping them in long sleeves/pants?

#27615 - 05/10/11 08:23 PM Re: pajamas [Re: kekonen]
Ivy's Mummy Offline

Loc: England
Hi Karen,

It doesn't seem to matter what we put Ivy in. It depends whether she's going through a "good" or "bad" period with her skin. Plus now she can voice her opinion she doesn't want the all in one babygros. Her favourite at the moment are Toy Story ones which are a short sleeves and shorts combo. Not good for greasy creams! I do know that when she does seem to be too hot for all in ones and I switch to cooler ones she still seems hot which in turn means her skin feels and looks less dry. Last year I was adamant that she would always be in all in ones so it could keep the cream in but this year I'm not as obsessed! To be honest I'm a lot more relaxed about lots of things now. I think that's something that comes with time.

I've attached a very cheeky photo of her in said pjs!

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/Emmalina0/toystoryphoto.jpg

4 year old girl with Lamellar Ichthyosis

Baby girl unaffected

#27621 - 05/13/11 01:51 AM Re: pajamas [Re: Ivy's Mummy]
kekonen Offline

Adorable photo! Thanks for the advice! I bought Annalie a bunch of 100% cotton pajamas - some short sleeve and some long. We keep the AC pretty cool in our house, so I'm pretty sure that she'll still be comfortable in the long sleeve pajamas.

#27628 - 05/14/11 02:38 AM Re: pajamas [Re: kekonen]
MonkeyMama Offline

Loc: Georgia
We do fleece footies in the winter and 100% cotton long sleeve/pants separates in the summer. We always keep Cate in pants and long sleeves because she gets too dry and itchy when she's not. Aquaphor is a staple for Cate and short sleeves/shorts just aren't an option with Aquaphor.

We keep our air condtioning at 68 degrees every single day of the year (plus we keep Cate's fan running), so she won't get too hot. Shorts and short sleeves just don't work for her.

#27630 - 05/14/11 11:59 PM Re: pajamas [Re: MonkeyMama]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Our air runs at 70 in the winter and 75 in the summer to help keep the electric and gas bills under control. My kids pretty much wore Carter's fleece footie jammies or Children's place cotton footie jammies with socks until they were 5 because they accomplished 3 things: 1, kept moisture in; 2, kept an extra layer on their feet, and 3, kept them from scratching.

Now that my oldest has gotten too big for footie jammies (although he does have a couple of them), he mostly wears fleece pants with an undershirt and socks to bed. I generally take one of the kids shopping with me and have them run their hands on things I am thinking about buying.

If it catches on their cracks, like most polyester does, I can't buy it. A lot of the Disney pjs are that icky polyester material. Finding cotton is a lot harder, but I generally find it or an acceptable blend if I don't look at licensed character options.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#27634 - 05/15/11 11:11 AM Re: pajamas [Re: Hearsay]
twinmum Offline

Loc: NSW, Australia
Harry is in cotton onsies with an ultrafine merino wool sleeping bag - merinokids.com ... it's working really well and he doesn't dry out too much over night - he is only on aqueous cream not the heavier ones like some of the other kids though... I assume I'll try ultrafine merino clothing over cotton clothing as he gets older too... Definately wouldn't want to be washing the greasy creams out of it, but as a top layer I think it's good - breathes and regulates heat much better than fleece

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information