Topic Options
#27552 - 04/13/11 12:02 PM Horrible skin after vacation?
cschaap Offline

Loc: Crown Pt., Indiana
We went on vacation to the Florida Keys a few weeks ago and I guess I had the idea that the sun would be really healing for Kenny but the complete opposite happened. He got progressively worse while we were there. It was hard because he absolutely loves being outside so I kept him covered as much as I could and then put sun block on him because we were all burning so easily. The blessing was we were right on the ocean so the breeze kept him nice and cool he never overheated but the sand really dried him out.
So, what do you do in a situation like that. I felt like it was a "catch 22" no matter what I did his skin suffered. Leave him out in the sun without sunblock and he burns or put sunblock on and it totally dries him out more! I guess I am trying to figure out what happened because whatever did, set him back so much! He hasn't had the real dark patches on his arms, legs and face for months. He was doing so good and now it's like it was after birth with the thick, dark patches everywhere and they are taking forever to come off.
A few days ago I put a lactic acid compound on him like I always have and he started screaming and huge red whelts were all over his body. That has never happened. After I rinsed him off in the bath he calmed down a little but he really didn't want me to touch him. I am so confused as to why it set him back so much. Has anyone else experienced this? I would love to know how to handle this the next time.
Thanks,
Candace

#27553 - 04/13/11 02:32 PM Re: Horrible skin after vacation? [Re: cschaap]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
I really wanted to jump in here and say something helpful but I am at a loss...I know that Photodermatitis (sun poisoning) can result in patches of scaly skin/blistering/rash/itching and the PABA in sunscreen can make it worse.
Could it have been sun poisoning?

#27554 - 04/13/11 05:41 PM Re: Horrible skin after vacation? [Re: Glori]
cschaap Offline

I guess it's possible he could have gotten sun poisoning. I really kept him covered with dry fit clothes, a hat and sun screen 95 percent of the time so I guess I would be surprised how much sun he could have gotten but then again I think anything is possible.

#27555 - 04/14/11 04:10 AM Re: Horrible skin after vacation? [Re: cschaap]
kekonen Offline

Our derm suggested Blue Lizard sunscreen last summer - I bought the baby version in the pink bottle. I think it has fewer chemicals than most sunscreens, and it doesn't seem to dry out Annalie's skin as much as other "baby" sunscreens. I found that if I put her regular daytime cream (CeraVe) on before the sunscreen her skin doesn't dry out as much.

Poor little guy! I hope this rough patch clears up quickly!

#27559 - 04/14/11 01:36 PM Re: Horrible skin after vacation? [Re: kekonen]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
Big hugs girl, I know that must be tough! Was he able to get in the ocean any? We too got Blue Lizard at the suggestion of the same derm and we liked it, I also love Aveeno Baby.

You guys are from the north right? It could be also that the sun is SO much hotter down here, especially further south so you would be surprised how little sun it takes for people that are used to it. Don't blame yourself though, you did everything you could to protect him, he may just have to get used to it!

#27563 - 04/18/11 12:57 AM Re: Horrible skin after vacation? [Re: MomofPrincesses]
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
It really is a hard situation. I find the heat really makes Brandyn's skin more dry and scaly. We avoid sunscreen like the plague as it REALLY dries his skin. I always buy the UV clothing and keep him in that. We were lucky when we lived in Australia because that type of clothing is everywhere. I also buy hats that have the UV protection.

We haven't had any issues with sunburn yet, but then again we don't go outside at all in the heat. When we were in Orlando last summer it was pretty miserable and we couldn't do much outside.

I'm sorry to hear that Kenny had whelts, ouch frown

It's all trial and error I think so don't blame yourself!

#27565 - 04/18/11 02:27 AM Re: Horrible skin after vacation? [Re: brandynsmum]
cschaap Offline

I appreciate all of your encouragment:) I should have gotten advice before I went...would have saved me some worrying. Kenny is already getting much better since we have been home so I am thankful for that! Live and learn I guess:) I am so glad I have this site to ask questions. Everyone here is so nice and helpful. Thanks again.

#27575 - 04/21/11 02:13 AM Re: Horrible skin after vacation? [Re: cschaap]
MonkeyMama Offline

Loc: Georgia
I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better! Like Morgan, we don't take Cate out into the sun at all because of the problems she has with overheating, but we have had problems with the lactic acid compound. When her skin is particularly broken she breaks out in the welts and screams from the pain. It's something that we've gone ahead and just removed from her treatment program for now because we don't feel like the pros outweigh the cons.
Glad it's getting better. smile

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information