Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#27504 - 03/19/11 02:57 PM Re: Swimming [Re: Aussie Mum]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Did you get out of the pool and put the vaseline on top of the chlorineated pool water? There's the problem. Once out of the pool, you need to do a bath with normal water and soap and put the lotions on afterwards.

What you did was pretty much seal in the chlorine right on her skin, and that's probably what caused the blisters.

I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#27505 - 03/19/11 11:12 PM Re: Swimming [Re: Hearsay]
Aussie Mum Offline

Loc: Australia
Thanks Hearsay, yes we washed her first and then put on the vaseline.

#27506 - 03/20/11 01:00 AM Re: Swimming [Re: Aussie Mum]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Huh, weird, then. Could she have gotten too much sun? Or is her skin just really sensitive? Do you have problems with fragrances?

I'm not sure what else could make her blister, and it's really unfortunate that she did.

I know with us, we get out of the pool, use the pool's showers to rinse off and put a layer of cream on, then go home and do a full scrub bath. In our case, the skin is so thick that just a rinse with soap won't get all the chlorine irritants out.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#27507 - 03/20/11 03:06 AM Re: Swimming [Re: Aussie Mum]
MonkeyMama Offline

Loc: Georgia
Originally Posted By: Aussie Mum
Thanks Hearsay, yes we washed her first and then put on the vaseline.

We have the same problem, Aussie Mom. We cream before swimming then immediately shower (before we leave the YMCA) to remove all of the chlorine, then apply Aquaphor, but Cate still can't handle the chlorine. I've stopped taking her for swims but am hoping to find an indoor saltwater pool. {I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hoping!}

Good luck!

#27537 - 04/06/11 01:13 AM Re: Swimming [Re: Aussie Mum]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
I find that it depends on the type of pool that she is in. Last summer we spent a week at the beach and there was a salt water pool and it was AMAZING what it did for her skin, the salt acted as a natural exfoliant and it worked wonders!! However, when we would take her to the water park and she would get in a highly chlorinated pool it would dry her out really badly and we would have to do extra lotion to compensate. We just recently bought a house with a chlorine pool that we will be converting to salt but she was in the pool briefly the other day and while our chlorine levels are a lot lower than the water park it seemed to have a drying effect on her. Not sure if that helps but the salt water seemed to do great!

She has not been in the ocean b/c we were dealing with the oil spill last summer but she will be this summer and I am sure it will be as good for her, if not better, than the salt water pool!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information