Topic Options
#27524 - 04/01/11 02:28 PM Orthotics
mamaborer Offline

Loc: MN
Does anyone have experience with any kind of leg braces or orthotics for their child. My daughter who just turned one has started to wear DAFO's. She is suppose to wear them all day or as much as possible. She has been diagnosed with nb-CIE.
I was just wondering how her skin will hold up against wearing them. So far it has been ok but she hasen't been wearing them as much as she is suppose to. I am too nervous to have her wear them all day long.
When she was about 3 or 4 months old she had to wear 2 different braces(one for daytime and one for night time) on her hands/wrists. Her skin did not tolerate that well at all. Luckly she only had to wear them for a few months. Those were made out of different material though than her DAFO's. I only have my daughters experience to go off of.
If anyone has some insight I would love to hear it!

#27526 - 04/01/11 07:32 PM Re: Orthotics [Re: mamaborer]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
I had to be in a whole arm/hand splint for a long period of time and the orthopedist found me some super soft "stocking" material to go under the splint to reduce the friction and blistering. It wasn't super snug, so I didn't get blisters from the material, but it was enough to stay put and protect my skin.
I bet there is something that could help protect her skin if she ends up needing it.

#27530 - 04/03/11 02:55 PM Re: Orthotics [Re: Glori]
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Brandyn has orthotics because he has very flat feet. The skin on his feet is extremely tight and thick so I think that has a lot to do with it. The orthotics don't irritate his skin at all because he wears socks with them but he can only wear them when the weather is cool. He overheats easily and the orthotics/socks make it happen almost immediately in the summer.
All the best, I hope that helps smile

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information