Topic Options
#20462 - 11/27/07 07:43 PM this solution works for my ichthyosis
homersimpson2473 Offline

Loc: riverside ca
So i have read that mild cases of ichthyosis like mine, I can not shed my skin normaly. Recomended remedy was to take cold showers and lots of moisturizers. To hell with that! Lots and lots of moisturizers just keeps it on there. Looks worse. So my remedy was to remove it and not lube it. I take a cool shower and use baby oil and dove soap on a dish brillow pad and scrub my troublesome area's. Then when you remove the problem I Moisturize out of the shower. Brillow is ruff at first but you get use to it. Now my skin no longer has the build up of dark brown cracking.

#20463 - 11/27/07 08:00 PM Re: this solution works for my ichthyosis
Promiseland_dup1 Offline

Thanks for sharing that with us. A lot of strategies work in exfoliating. But the relief in temporary. Scales will come back and you will need to redo the procedure.

For me, living in hot and humid weather works best. The weather encourages sweating; sweating helps clears the scales; and the clearing of the scales allows for easier sweating. Works well for me with severe Vulgaris.

#20464 - 11/27/07 10:04 PM Re: this solution works for my ichthyosis
homersimpson2473 Offline

Loc: riverside ca
you dont just wait until scales appear. you do this every time you take a shower.

#20465 - 11/27/07 10:57 PM Re: this solution works for my ichthyosis
Promiseland_dup1 Offline

Same thing. You HAVE to do the procedure, whether you do it everyday or wait till scales reappear.

I have to try to break a sweat everyday. As I work in air-conditioning (relatively mild and not blowing on me) that contribute to the build-up of scale AND detract from the relief offered by the hot weather (it is a double whammy), I have learned to use the following to help myself. (1) Park my car out in the sun and sit in it at lunch with the windows up and with no air conditioning. Sit in there until I break a good sweat. (2) Do not use soap or shampoo everytime I shower. In fact, use them no more than once or twice a week. Soap or body wash, if used regularly, will dry you out more and facilitate scale build-up.

And if I do not drink beer at all, my skin would even be better.

#20466 - 11/29/07 05:15 PM Re: this solution works for my ichthyosis
immystique Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO, USA
Yea, but ya CAN'T give up the occasional beer! lol

It's funny, even with my LI, I'd have to go out and sit in my car in the hot sun, too. Not to sweat, but to warm up. Of course, that was b/c they keep it so darn cold in my office, and unless it was 75-80 degrees, I felt cold all the time anyway.

I just attributed the fact that I felt cold all the time to my ich--turns out I had a low thyroid level! Since I've been on my meds for that, I don't feel nearly as cold. And now that the weather's turning colder, I'm not constantly cuddled up to a space heater--just an extra sweater works fine. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#27493 - 03/17/11 09:28 AM Re: this solution works for my ichthyosis [Re: Promiseland_dup1]
GF.Foodie Offline

Loc: Colorado
Have you ever considered a GLUTEN intolerance? Try a Gluten-free beer and see what happens!

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information