Topic Options
#27451 - 03/02/11 05:56 AM Vitamins
Aussie Mum Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi, I have started giving Ashley a kids multi vitamin, becuase she is going through a "I am 2 and a big girl, and won't eat anything I don't want to" stage!.

Anyway since taking the multi her skin is looking better and not as dry. Do you think this could have something to do with it, or maybe she is just starting the cycle again with good skin.

Do you find food/vitamins/supplements help at all?

Thanks
Amy

#27465 - 03/05/11 02:47 PM Re: Vitamins [Re: Aussie Mum]
BritMum Offline

Loc: UK
Hi
I have to say I thought like you that I saw an improvement once I added vit supplements but once my daughter got used to the novelty of taking them and started refusing, I think it was a cycle of good skin as there was no significant deterioration once she stopped them!! I offer them every once in a while but don't worry if she's chooses not to take them. The best thing is plenty of fluid and a balanced diet!!

J x

#27471 - 03/08/11 03:34 AM Re: Vitamins [Re: BritMum]
MonkeyMama Offline

Loc: Georgia
I give Cate gummy vitamins every day and I haven't seen any change in her skin. frown

#27473 - 03/08/11 08:45 AM Re: Vitamins [Re: MonkeyMama]
Aussie Mum Offline

Hi,

MonkeyMama I really do think it is just a coinicidence that her skin is better. I think BritMum is right, its just the cycle of her skin.

About the only think I do notice a big difference with is water. The more she drinks the better her skin is.

#27508 - 03/20/11 03:08 AM Re: Vitamins [Re: Aussie Mum]
MonkeyMama Offline

Loc: Georgia
Originally Posted By: Aussie Mum

About the only think I do notice a big difference with is water. The more she drinks the better her skin is.

Do you do anything special to get her to drink the water? We have a terrible time getting Cate to drink plain water. She's always walking around with a cup of either chocolate milk (getting her extra calories in her) or a Gatorade/Water mix (for hydration).

Do you bathe her everyday? We started seeing improvement in Cate's skin when we started giving her a bath every day.

#27509 - 03/20/11 04:09 AM Re: Vitamins [Re: MonkeyMama]
Aussie Mum Offline

Hi, Luckily for us she loves plain water (although she has never had anything else apart from milk). We do have to keep reminding/asking her to drink. I have been trying to get her drink other things incase she ever needs to, but all she wants in water.

Maybe you could slowly increase the water in the gatorade/water mix. Although if the gatorade helps her you might not want to do that.

Yes, we bath her everyday, for at least 30 mins, and it is a really full bath so she is sitting in water up to her chest. I agree the bathing everyday helps.

#27538 - 04/06/11 01:17 AM Re: Vitamins [Re: Aussie Mum]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
I have to disagree, I think that diet can make a big difference in their skin simply from the hydration of the body standpoint. I have no scientific evidence or anything to back up my theory smile though. I think that when Kallie eats lots of fresh fruits she gets a lot of natural hydration and it helps her skin a lot. I have started making "green" smoothies as well and sneaking in spinach and carrots and I think that helps a lot too. So I think any way you can get fresh fruit into her the more hydration she is going to get!

And I agree on just slowly reducing the amount of juice vs water and she will get used to it. I also will give her one cup with a little more juice and then if she asks for more switch it with more water!

2 is such a fun age isn't it?! smile

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information