Topic Options
#27185 - 11/26/10 06:24 PM Cream ingredients
twinmum Offline

Loc: NSW, Australia
Hi everyone
I wondered if people would mind telling me their experiences with any of the following ingredients - pro's, cons, reactions, improvements, flair ups etc? I'm looking into formulating my own cream for Harry and these are some of the options.
Thanks smile

Hyaluronic acid
D-Panthenol
Niacinamide
Glucosamine
MSM

and I'm curious too how effective people find urea and lactic acid and what time fram they take to show any effect or wether it's just along term culmulative thing...

Thanks for all and any feedback!

#27190 - 11/29/10 09:12 PM Re: Cream ingredients [Re: twinmum]
KimNL Offline

Loc: Holyrood, NL, Canada
Hi, we haven't used any of the above. I thought glucosamine was for joints?
We use 12% Lac-Hydrin on Casey plus some other mixtures. I think it's good but she still has her "bad spells". Right now, she is totally flaky, nothing seems to be helping - very frustrating!! But I know in a week or so, it should settle. *fingers crossed*
It usually does, her regimen is generally pretty effective. Season changes are the worst and it is starting to get quite cold here.
We've used urea cream as well, also decent, mostly for her feet and hands when then get thicker scales. I think it is 20 to 30%.
Good luck and take care
Kim

#27191 - 11/30/10 02:05 AM Re: Cream ingredients [Re: KimNL]
Les Avakian Offline

Loc: Fresno, Calif. USA 93705
Hello Twin Mum and Kim
I have also been very happy with Lachydrin 12% lactic acid, but when the temperatures drop in January and February, I add glycerin to help with keeping the moisture in. It is very inexpensive and the smell is pleasant. Twinmum, some of the ingredients you might like to experiment with are urea,lactic,glycollic, or salicyllic acids. Other products I see on some of my samples are ceramides, glycerin, allantoin, Vitamin E, cholesterol, and fatty lipids. Those are just a few of the ingredients listed on my samples. I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Les

#27193 - 11/30/10 05:39 AM Re: Cream ingredients [Re: Les Avakian]
twinmum Offline

Thanks
Lactic acid and urea and allantoin are on my 'definates' list. I haven't looked into glycolic acid, ceramide or glycerin so thanks for those suggestions.
Yes glucosamine is used internally for joints but apparently can be used topically to increase collagen and hyaluronic acid in the skin... still researching.
Do either of you find lactic acid based creams hurt/sting?

thanks smile

#27206 - 12/01/10 09:51 PM Re: Cream ingredients [Re: twinmum]
KimNL Offline

Loc: Holyrood, NL, Canada
Hi Les and twinmum,
The "mixture" I referenced above is a combination of pure glycerin, cetaphil cream and pure aloe vera gel.
It is generally pretty effective but perhaps we should use twice the glycerin in the mixture - maybe we'll try that.
I have to say - this board has been a lifesaver!
Kim

#27264 - 12/19/10 08:46 AM Re: Cream ingredients [Re: KimNL]
twinmum Offline

Thanks.
Anyone know if glycerol and glycerin are the same?

#27266 - 12/19/10 03:36 PM Re: Cream ingredients [Re: twinmum]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
Glycerin is a commercial product that is used to make glycerol. In fact, glycerin is the principal component in glycerol. The two terms are in fact used interchangeably. Glycerol is often referred to and known as glycerin.

Read more: Glycerin Vs. Glycerol | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5584684_glycerin-vs_-glycerol.html#ixzz18alS8hG4

That's what I found online smile

#27278 - 12/21/10 10:10 PM Re: Cream ingredients [Re: Glori]
twinmum Offline

cool - thanks Glori - I thought they were prob the same/close enough because everyone refers to gylcerin but the bottle says glycerol

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information