Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#27116 - 11/05/10 07:28 PM Re: UTI [Re: Samiha]
Laurensmom Offline

Loc: north billerica, massachusetts...
Slightly on topic...
have any of you been told that there are higher than normal levels of protein present in urine samples. Our daughter has protein in her urine, with no sympton of renal compromise, and of course they want to do a kidney biospy. I have asked our genetist to look into any connection with kidneys and ichthysosis. Really dont want to put her through that test if avoidable.

#27124 - 11/05/10 10:52 PM Re: UTI [Re: Samiha]
KimNL Offline

Loc: Holyrood, NL, Canada
I would like to add that sipping water throughout the day is preferable to drinking large amounts at one time. It hydrates the body better.

#27125 - 11/06/10 04:06 AM Re: UTI [Re: KimNL]
Samiha Offline

Loc: Dhaka,Bangladesh
Hi,Kim thanx 4 ur advice.Laurensmom,i m a medical student.Just gave my final exam and waiting for internship.As far i know,kidney biopsy is done when kindey function is compromised.Pls give a minute to read indications 4rm this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renal_biopsy

I live in Bangladesh & study in Dhaka Medical College.Doctors do invasive procedure like kidney biopsy here when non-invasive Imaging techniques like Ultrasono,MRI,CT scan... reveal abnormality of kidney region like any mass/stone.Kidney biopsy is last option for investigation.

So my Q to Laurensmom is ve u done other imaging techniques & do they reveal normal?
Pls read the 7th para of st page of this link http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:p1QmgAvf1TYJ:www.firstskinfoundation.org/userAssets/file/v2n2.pdf+protein+in+urine&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShA7fg7a8QOTArxPEO8RQDRAPLglMGuRGy-8mF6wKy8pYS5pgZCy6254CRVPjQwpCXlJNnnokT44OcBOGP3LkzzAkUCFyIsC9aWUvvsNYItpZ5TYlHooO2WfpkqZ3iQkCQwbJDd&sig=AHIEtbQIVv7VGBkkEin6jn_pkBsSidgqHg

Level of tyrosine(amino acid 22 times normal in child's blood & urine..doctor got this in Lamellar & EHK childs..)

#27126 - 11/06/10 04:09 AM Re: UTI [Re: Samiha]
Samiha Offline

I 'll write a wall post in FB abt this protenuria of ichthyosis.Lets c wht other moms reply if its physiological or pathological.I 'll reply u if i get ans from them.take care

#27129 - 11/06/10 07:44 PM Re: UTI [Re: Samiha]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Higher than normal protein in the urine is an indicator that something in the kidney might be failing.

The kidneys work by generating really high blood pressure inside the little tubules, which forces stuff (everything except the blood cells and proteins) out of the blood stream and into the kidney. Then it goes through a process of changing pressure, changing ion concentrations, osmosis and actively pumping stuff back into the bloodstream to filter out what is waste and what should return to the blood. Proteins and cells are too big to get through a properly runnning kidney, so when we find protein or blood in the urine, that is a clue that something is going wrong.

Whether it is related to the ichthyosis or not is hard to say, as it's not typical. Most people with ichthyosis are constantly slightly dehydrated, so urine tends to be more concentrated because less is going out from the kidneys. Dehydration usually lowers blood pressure a little. Neither of these tendencies would cause the kidney to fail to filter protein properly, but decreased urine volume means peeing less often and more time for bacteria to get into the urethra and cause an infection in between voiding.

UTIs make sense in ichthyosis. proteinuria shouldn't be any more common in ichthyosis than in the general population.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#27132 - 11/07/10 01:43 AM Re: UTI [Re: Hearsay]
Samiha Offline

thanx Hearsay:)

#27135 - 11/08/10 04:20 PM Re: UTI [Re: Samiha]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
Great info and advice!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob