Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27058 - 11/01/10 08:54 PM Sarah's November Topic - Itchy Ears
Sarah Helen Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, Probably North of...
Yeah, I admit it.... everything is itchy, so why have I singled out ears? For this simple reason, it is a much loved topic of discussion and October didn't get any replies.... LOL.

This may be gros to some folks but for us EHKers it is an every day occurence.
As I understand it, earwax is made from oily secretions being combined with dead skin cells. This would explain why I seem to have so much that it needs daily attention or the itchiness drives me bonkers. It's not painful, just really irritating.

So - against all medical advice, parental advice and unsolicited advice - I clean my ears daily... with a bobby pin.

I'm very careful and simply "hook" out the flakes. I would never reccomend doing this to someone else as it has to be done by touch (like parallel parking).

What is your trick?

#27074 - 11/03/10 05:16 AM Re: Sarah's November Topic - Itchy Ears [Re: Sarah Helen]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Haha. The husband has a paperclip folded into the right shape for the same purpose. I have a plastic disposable loupe I got from my pediatrician that I use on the kids.

Here, we check ears with the otoscope every 3 days or so. Blocked ears get 50/50% peroxide/water flushes to get the really deep stuff out. The loupe and q-tips get used on the near end of the canal and the outer ears. Funny, the baby and 4yo let me do it without complaint, but the nearly 8yo cries about how much it hurts. He never did when he was younger.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#27101 - 11/05/10 02:40 AM Re: Sarah's November Topic - Itchy Ears [Re: Hearsay]
didi4nyc Offline

Loc: ny
I use a bobby pin as well.

#27107 - 11/05/10 12:30 PM Re: Sarah's November Topic - Itchy Ears [Re: didi4nyc]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
I wasn't sure if anyone else has seen these, but I found them at the drugstore and I think that they would be perfect!
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/clinere-ear-cleaners/ID=prod6039574-product

#27112 - 11/05/10 02:27 PM Re: Sarah's November Topic - Itchy Ears [Re: Glori]
Sarah Helen Offline

Those do look nifty.... although the scoop end looks really big for my little ears.

No harm in looking at them in the store though, right?

#27121 - 11/05/10 10:11 PM Re: Sarah's November Topic - Itchy Ears [Re: Sarah Helen]
Aussie Mum Offline

Loc: Australia
No one has ever mentioned that Ashley will have more earwax before. I have noticed that their is a bit at the entrance and clean that every week or so. But other parents have mentioned that same so just thought it was a normal thing.

How would I know if this was becoming a problem for her? She has her ears looked by GP just in a general examination for a flu or something, and nothing has been mentioned.

Thanks

#27130 - 11/06/10 11:12 PM Re: Sarah's November Topic - Itchy Ears [Re: Aussie Mum]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Some have problems, others don't. Generally, those with problems build up a really nasty looking black chunk about the size of a pea, smashed up against the eardrum. Plus all sorts of yellow, orange and reddish brown wax along the canal. The stuff in the canal is what we pick out with the bobby pin or loupe. The chunk stuck to the eardrum has to be flushed out because it is too dangerous to poke anything in that far.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#27140 - 11/09/10 07:04 PM Re: Sarah's November Topic - Itchy Ears [Re: Hearsay]
Sarah Helen Offline

My ears get really itchy, more so than normal, when there is a build up. If Ashley has extra flakiness in her ears I probably wouldn't do anything unless it actually bothers her.
If you see her rubbing and trying to scratch her ears, it might be time to clear out the flakes.

Mind you, this is only my humble opinion. I'm just saying that there is no need to look for a problem that might not exist. No matter how young a child is, I think they are able to tell us when they are uncomfortable.

#27155 - 11/15/10 11:35 PM Re: Sarah's November Topic - Itchy Ears [Re: Sarah Helen]
Aussie Mum Offline

Loc: Australia
Thanks for your replies i really appreciate it. I am definitely not trying to look for problems, just want to find out as much information as I can.

I agree she would let me know if they were irritating her, she has just started telling us when something is sore or hurting....although sometimes just for attention I think, cheeky kid!!

#27161 - 11/17/10 10:08 PM Re: Sarah's November Topic - Itchy Ears [Re: Aussie Mum]
Sarah Helen Offline

LOL - yeah.... I was pretty cheeky too. (Still am :-p )

My brothers tell me that I did anything and everything for attention, including playing up any blisters, wounds or "sore spots" I had. I still think they were just jealous as I'm the only girl.

Don't tell 'em!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information