Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26876 - 09/13/10 03:35 PM Best climate for ichthyosis vulgaris sufferers
Nina Offline

Loc: Texas
Have any of you noticed a difference in your skin depending on what climate you're in? We live in Dallas and my son, who has ichthyosis vulgaris, is happiest at the beach. He spent the weekend in Galveston with his cousins and had virtually no skin problems, but as soon as he got back to Dallas he got an eczema attack and has been miserable for 24 hours.

I'm seriously thinking of exploring job opportunities in Southern California, just for the climate. My parents moved me there when I was 6 and it helped my allergies tremendously.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Nina

#26877 - 09/13/10 05:37 PM Re: Best climate for ichthyosis vulgaris sufferers [Re: Nina]
Promiseland Offline

The more tropical the climate the better off it would be for someone with severe Vulgaris. Because tropical climate facilitates sweating and sweating keeps the build up of scales at bay. And no scale build up will allow for sweating in a virtuous cycle.

Southern California may be better than other parts of the country in the winter, but it is not tropical. It is also a desert.

#27031 - 10/27/10 04:03 PM Re: Best climate for ichthyosis vulgaris sufferers [Re: Promiseland]
Chuck Schmidt Offline

Loc: Dallas, Tx, USA
Nina, I also have IV and live in Dallas. I love the summers in Texas, except for the extreme heat. My skin does clear up in the summer and I have experimented with a tanning bed in the colder months also. It seems to help, just don't overdo it.

My wife and I cruise a lot and love the Caribbean and have talked about retiring there. We did think about Red River, NM once, but I think my skin would rebel pretty quickly.

What part of SoCal were you referring to? Depends on location as far as heat, humidity, etc. Some altitudes might not be as beneficial either.

#28170 - 01/03/12 06:03 AM Re: Best climate for ichthyosis vulgaris sufferers [Re: Nina]
gallinaspeed Offline

Loc: New Jersey
The best climbate in my opinion is the california bay area. summers are 70-80s with few rare 90-100's winters are mild at 50-75

#28203 - 01/17/12 04:06 PM Re: Best climate for ichthyosis vulgaris sufferers [Re: Nina]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I spent a year in India and it was almost like I didn't have it anymore. I just have vulgarism but right now I'm in dry desert winter SLC and it's like I have all over body dandruff. yuck! So definitely a warm humid place like the South I would say in the USA. Not so easy to move to India!

#28385 - 05/12/12 01:13 PM Re: Best climate for ichthyosis vulgaris sufferers [Re: Nina]
DJ.... Offline

Anyone shown an improvement in the UK summer months? I don't usually look forward to the summer months as I find the heat uncomfortable and burn very easily. I'm interested to see if there is any improvement in my skin this summer though as I have only recently been diagnosed with IV. Not sure if mines acquired as I have had it for about 10 years (I'm in my late 30's) and its gradually spread to the whole of my body. s there a way to find out if its acquired or not?

#28806 - 02/18/13 09:10 AM Re: Best climate for ichthyosis vulgaris sufferers [Re: Anonymous]
deepak Offline

Very True !
Costal Area of India or any country having hot humid weather(SriLanka,ThaiLand etc) would be very good for us.

#28807 - 02/18/13 09:12 AM Re: Best climate for ichthyosis vulgaris sufferers [Re: Nina]
deepak Offline

I agree ,However I suggest visiting to that area atleast for few days in each season just to make sure that in all seasons the weather suits you.

I am in india and I am thinking on similar option as well.

#28933 - 05/29/13 12:39 PM Re: Best climate for ichthyosis vulgaris sufferers [Re: Nina]
rachael Offline

thankyou for all your comments here...

..I've recently started honouring my skin... changed my diet to vegan..only using natural oils and Dr Bromers products.. and filter the water i bathe in..
I've been thinking about climate.. i live in the UK .. so it's winters are a constant threat to happiness.

..your humid info makes sense.. i'm going to cuba in october..looking forward to seeing it's effect.

#29902 - 01/23/15 11:44 AM Re: Best climate for ichthyosis vulgaris sufferers [Re: Anonymous]
deepak Offline

Hi

Which place in india you have been to where skin got better ?

#29907 - 02/10/15 08:36 PM Re: Best climate for ichthyosis vulgaris sufferers [Re: Nina]
robbo Offline

Loc: sydney, australia
My X-Linked responds so well to a visit to the beach that for 40 years my family doctors referred to it as a 'salt deficiency'. They would wonder why putting salt in the bath didn't help, but a few weeks at the beach and Wow perfect skin.

The breaking ocean waves are known to create a zone about 500 metres wide that has extremely humid moist air, caused by the breaking surf. This is by far the best place to be with Ichthyosis in my opinion.

This summer has been very humid here in Sydney with lots of rain and storms. My skin is loving it, I can go to the pool and be happy. Winter here gets very dry and my skin hates it. I need to motivate myself to go to the beach in winter as well.

We go camping in that 500 metre zone so my skin gets a 24/7 moisture treatment. And the camping fees are much lower in winter as well, LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Laura Phillips, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information