Topic Options
#26843 - 09/02/10 06:34 PM Anyone have a self healing collodian baby?
thanson Offline

I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone has had a self-healing collodian baby? My son was born with a layer of skin which shed off the first month of life. His skin is great now with no issues (other than eczema and dryness). He is 4 yrs old and the drs could never tell us what was wrong. His twin sis had a few dry patches of skin on her body at birth but nothing like his. He tested negative for ichthyosis at birth (FISH analysis). Last week we found articles on the self healing collodian baby (lamellar type) and the pictures looked just like my son. We contacted the geneticist who said no that he would still have skin issues today (obviously he didn't read the self-healing part). Now I'm pregnant again and worried. Has anyone had a self healing baby and then one that was severely affected by it. We are going to Mayo Clinic next month for something else but hopefully they can check for this too because they didn't check for the right gene mutation at birth. Any advice is appreciated.

#26847 - 09/03/10 06:42 PM Re: Anyone have a self healing collodian baby? [Re: thanson]
KarenM Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
I have read that if one child is self-healing then they all will be - it's the same genetic mutation each time so should act in more or less the same way. So, try not to worry!!

#26848 - 09/04/10 01:43 AM Re: Anyone have a self healing collodian baby? [Re: KarenM]
Sideshow_bob Offline

Loc: US, Midwest
There was a child at the Chicago conference who they suspected was self-healing. She had a very aggressive form, though, where her body actually healed skin that wasn't damaged, causing scars. Really would try to just enjoy your pregnancy and not worry about things that may or may not happen. If your child is born with the condition, then come back here and we'll be glad to give you support and advice.

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information