Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26804 - 08/20/10 09:35 PM School having to provide airconditioning for class
rodkarbrown Offline

Loc: Rochelle IL USA
Our daughter Kaylee has Netherton Syndrome. We don't have a 504 for her but the school has been wonderful and very cooperative with us and Kaylee's needs. They have installed an air conditioner in her classroom but it isn't big enough for the classroom and it isn't even cool in there.

The school nurse told me that she didn't know if the district would purchase a bigger one because she doesn't know where the money would come from.

What do you all think? Would they HAVE to or NO since we don't have a 504 thing. We have plenty of letters from Dr Amy Paller, our derm.

#26806 - 08/21/10 03:04 AM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: rodkarbrown]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
I don't know, could she sit closer to the ac, is it a window unit type thing?

#26808 - 08/21/10 02:15 PM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: MomofPrincesses]
rodkarbrown Offline

The teachers desk is right in front of it and she says it isn't even cold.....It is a window unit. I think that one must not work right, because it should be cold right in front of it even if it can't cool the whole room.

#26809 - 08/22/10 03:12 PM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: rodkarbrown]
Laurensmom Offline

Loc: north billerica, massachusetts...
We have two portable (not window) airconditioners in the room as one was not able to deal with the increased classroom size and still keep a constant 70 degrees. Both air conditioners will be moving with Lauren from class to class as she moves on in grades. I plan to call the school later this week (first day is the 31st) to make sure the units were moved into her new classroom. It have worked well so far but she is only in the 1st grade. This will be the first year, we deal with gym, cafeteria and library, none of which are air conditioned. Fingers are crossed.

#26811 - 08/23/10 12:00 PM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: Laurensmom]
rodkarbrown Offline

We also have struggles with gym, lunch and recess. They have made special provisions for Kaylee when it is this hot, for her to stay inside. The office is air conditioned and she often goes down there and sits. It is always a struggle for us at the beginning of the year with the heat.

#26814 - 08/24/10 12:48 AM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: rodkarbrown]
MamaH2 Offline

Loc: Virginia
wow. I can't even imagine a school not being air conditioned. But I guess living in the heat and humidity gives people a good reason to always have air conditioned buildings.
~lizzy

#26817 - 08/25/10 12:23 AM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: MamaH2]
CShell Offline

Loc: Fort Meade, MD
I hadn't even thought about a/c. Julia starts pre-k tomorrow, and we went and visited today and it didn't seem overly hot in the rooms. I'll have to make sure I mention it to her teachers, for something to keep an eye on.

Does Kaylee have a cooling vest or anything that she could wear, or maybe one of those small handheld fans?

#26823 - 08/26/10 04:40 AM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: CShell]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
In Naperville, the school was not air conditioned and they were not willing to provide one if there were cheaper ways of fulfilling the 504. They monitored temperature and my son's ability to function and sent him to the office or library where there was air if he had a problem. This was in kindergarten. The current school has air in the classrooms but they make similar accomodations for busing and gym class where it tends to be warmer.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#26835 - 09/02/10 12:32 AM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: rodkarbrown]
labalog Offline

Loc: pittsburgh pa
My son will start 8th grade next week. He has a 504. In elementary school, I had a/c and they even provided a microphone for the teacher for hearing loss. In jr high, they a/c every classroom that my son is in. I think a 504 is the best piece of paper to have.

Thanks
Linda
Mom of Ryan with CIE and collodian membrane

#26836 - 09/02/10 12:35 AM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: Hearsay]
labalog Offline

Loc: pittsburgh pa
When my son was in elementary school, the staff and at times the principal would make Ryan come him when it was hot outside and he turned pretty red. He was not real happy but they do what they had to do.

Linda
Mom of Ryan with CIE and collodian membrane

#26846 - 09/03/10 05:22 PM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: labalog]
Laurensmom Offline

Loc: north billerica, massachusetts...
So school started on what seemed like the hottest week of the summer. ACs are in the classroom and the temperature there is comfortable. The rest of the school is oppressive. Lauren had ART class on Wednesday and had to go back to her classroom when she got overheated. Im glad that they seem to be paying attnention. Bring on the Fall.

Shannon

#27647 - 05/23/11 04:05 AM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: labalog]
MonkeyMama Offline

Loc: Georgia
Karla ~

How did everything work out this year? How are things going for Kaylee?

#27704 - 06/08/11 05:45 PM Re: School having to provide airconditioning for class [Re: rodkarbrown]
~ Leonards Mom~ Offline

Loc: us
Hello my son has itch-v and is going to the second grade this year I also work in the special ed department and am in the process of getting a 504 set up for him now because we are dealing with some issues of overheated classrooms due to old units in the building one day its cold one its hot it was never regulated in his previous classroom. A 504 would be the best thing to set up our was just a simple meeting and by law they have to abide by the 504 so be very firm in what you want them to do I suggest speaking with your derm and leave nothing out in the meeting for the 504. Remember you are in control since that is your child im sure they will try to say it is not in the budget to replace the air conditioner for her but too bad for them they have to make the accomidations to make her comfortable in school and able to participate without having to feel overheated and distracted by being uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information