Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26759 - 08/12/10 03:20 AM Homeschooling?
rodkarbrown Offline

Loc: Rochelle IL USA
I am curious as to if any of you have chosen to homeschool due to ichthyosis? My concerns are the heat (we are not an air conditioned school except for her classroom) as well as lack of sleep for Kaylee. If I homeschooled, she could deal with all her issues at home......I would join a co-op so she would still have interactions with other kids.

Just wondering what you all do/think??

Thanks so much!
Karla Brown

#26761 - 08/12/10 03:55 AM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: rodkarbrown]
MamaH2 Offline

Loc: Virginia
My little ichthyosis babe isn't anywhere near school age but I'm considering homeschooling for her and her older brother. I was at orientation for my little boy's preschool tonight and they said that they don't have A/C in the classroom and I don't know if they could deal with heat issues. We would do a co-op too. I don't know if it's just me sheltering her too much though. I'm thinking that I'd like to do home school until high school. And let her decide at that point (although I'd like to let her be part of the decision making process when she's older before high school) My biggest problem is finding a curriculum that I'm comfortable with. I've been looking at preschool curriculum and I just can't find anything I like.

#26762 - 08/12/10 11:17 AM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: MamaH2]
jrmiss86 Offline

Loc: Marlton, NJ, USA
Although we decided last minute not to home school, we seriously considered it for a long time. Our reason was not Alex's icthyosis, but rather his possible ADHD. In fact we decided that this year (kindergarten) is a trial year, and I am ready to pull him out should we decided that we need to. More and more parents are homeschooling for a variety of different reasons. Because of this there are more and more curriculum's and co-ops available today.

Here are some of the resources that I found, in my research last year. It is at least a place to start. I will say for preschool you don't need a big, formal curriculum. I personally would focus on play and being around other children. Maybe find a playgroup that you like. Read a lot of books with your children. That is really all they do in preschool anyway. You can introduce letters and numbers to 10, but I wouldn't make a formal sit down learning time. (I was a preschool teacher before I left to stay at home with my kids)

Resources:

http://www.sonlight.com/index.html

http://www.learningthings.com/articles/

http://www.mfwbooks.com/

https://www.abeka.com/?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

http://www.abchomepreschool.com/

I hope this helps.
Liz (3/16/07)

#26763 - 08/12/10 11:24 AM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: jrmiss86]
jrmiss86 Offline

I forgot to add this blog that I read. It is an excellent resource for homeschooling. At least in my opinion.

http://thehappyhousewife.com/

she has a lot of posts about her homeschooling and a separate page with her curriculum, from last year. She hasn't updated it to this years curriculum yet, but it is listed in her blog.
Liz (3/16/07)

#26764 - 08/12/10 11:59 AM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: jrmiss86]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
As someone who performed background checks for the country's larges employers, I have a lot of experience dealing with homeschooled students. While I don't have a problem with it, many corporate employers simply don't acknowledge it as an education. It always boils down to the same thing, there is simply no proof that you accomplished your education. Certificates from Co-ops don't cut it unless it is "verifiable" and quite often, it's not. I dealt with a number of people who had completed homeschooling and enrolled in college but without a high school education to verify, we were unable to offer them a job.
It's a more complicated situation than I have explained above, but I like to throw it out there as a caveat to those who are considering homeschooling so that they can research and do the program correctly to ensure their child's future.

#26765 - 08/12/10 12:15 PM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: Glori]
jrmiss86 Offline

If you are doing it correctly then you will have a certified diploma when you are done. Most states require that you keep records and report cards on your child for just this reason. As far as I know, NJ is the only state that doesn't. The testing that public school students have to complete is also required in most states. We live in NJ and if we do end up homeschooling then the kids grades will be reported to the state so that they do have a high school diploma when they are finished. It sounds like what you have witnessed is just homeschooling that, like you said, wasn't fully or correctly researched into what is required by your state. Every state has different requirements that have to be completed each year, or your child is considered as not having attended school and you can be fined for that.

I will say that if you have all the correct paperwork done for you state and you are still denied admission to college, or a job simply based on the fact that you were home schooled, then that is discrimination, and should be fought. Again that is provided that you have done what is required for you state.
Liz (3/16/07)

#26766 - 08/12/10 02:31 PM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: jrmiss86]
Angel24755 Offline

Loc: PA
We are a homeschooling family. We decided it would be best as we have two children with LI/CIE (never did the testing to determine which one it was). Our schools are not air conditioned and overheating was my biggest concern. My kids are unable to sweat and I worried that some teachers may not realize they were too warm until there was a problem. My husband and I were both in agreement that it was best for our family (not to say that it's best for every family...it was just our choice for ours). I homeschool all three of our children ages 10, 8, and 6 and none of them have ever attended any type of school. As somebody else mentioned, each state has different laws regarding homeschooling. We live in PA and deal with some of the most strict homeschooling laws in the country. It is extremely important that you research the laws for your state. A good place to start is the website for the Home School Legal Defense Association. http://www.hslda.org/Default.asp?bhcp=1

My advice would be this...
If you decide to homeschool, keep a portfolio for each year regardless if it is required by law where you live. This will help "prove" that your child did indeed have an education (to both future employers AND colleges). It will also give you and your child a wonderful keepsake. There are many ways to earn a high school diploma through homeschooling (NOT certificates from co-ops). There is a growing population of homeschoolers in the US and it becomes more popular with each passing year. I have yet to hear of a homeschooler being unable to get a job or get into college. In fact, quite the opposite...many employers and colleges have a great deal of respect for home educated children. In the state of PA, children are required to take standardized tests in grades 3, 5, and 8 (NOT given by the parents). This is also something you could add to your portfolio (you could test every year if you really wanted to). In the state of PA each child over the age of eight is required to have a portfolio turned into the school each year along with a log, receive an evaluation by a certified teacher, take a standardized test in grades 3, 5, and 8, and turn in an affidavit and objectives list at the start of each school year. At the end of the year we receive a letter after our portfolio has been reviewed stating that we are in compliance with the homeschooling laws in the state of PA. I am sure that we have more than enough paperwork to substantiate their education. If the laws in your state don't require all of this, there is no reason you can't do most of it on your own. Keeping a portfolio, a daily log of your child's work, and giving standardized tests from time to time are all good ways of documenting a home education.

You have to do what is right for your family and if you decide that homeschooling is best then go for it! I had so many worries when we finally made the decision to homeschool. I worried that I wouldn't be able to teach them all that they need to know, I had no idea where to find the curriculum, or even how to get started. Believe me, each new homeschooling parents have all of those worries and then some. Learn the laws for your state, find local homeschooling groups for support and information, and enjoy your children!

Best of luck to you!
Lisa

#26773 - 08/14/10 10:43 PM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: Angel24755]
RobbysMom Offline

Loc: Michigan
Another alternative you might want to check into: My kiddo attended a 'virtual' or online public school for one year (only partly because of his skin condition). In practice it is kind of mix of public school and homeschool. Many states offer online programs, and often use curriculum offered through a company called K12 or one called Connections Academy. You might want to check into those.

We've also done the homeschooling route; you've gotten some great feedback on that from others already. There are pros n cons to both (as well as traditional school!); the challenge is figuring out which works best for your family. Good luck!

#26776 - 08/15/10 06:46 PM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: RobbysMom]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
We won't homeschool, we live in South Alabama so everywhere is ac. My girls will be going to private school, there is an on-staff nurse there and I feel comfortable that they will do a good job with Kallie. Could you consider a small private school that might could deal better one on one with your child?!

Please don't take this the wrong way and I may have no room to talk b/c Kallie is still so young (1) but I feel like if you homeschool them b/c of the ick then you are teaching them that they are different, that they don't fit in, and I don't know that that is a good message to send. Just my two cents for what its worth, I hope I don't offend anyone!

#26777 - 08/15/10 09:21 PM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: MomofPrincesses]
Angel24755 Offline

No offence taken but I do want to respond. We homeschool all three of our children (two with LI/CIE and one without). We treat them all the same. I don't think that homeschooling really sends the message that they are different and don't belong. They are around other children, they go to the park, the are out and about all of the time...they just don't go to school. Our kids are fully aware that I was afraid to send them to school for fear that they would overheat. They are also fully aware that it wasn't our only reason for homeschooling. Besides the overheating issue, there is also the joy of having my children around all of the time, learning behavior from us instead of 20 ill behaved children that they would share classes with, the very close sibling bond that they share, the fact that they can move faster or slower whenever needed, the ability to study topics of interest...the list goes on and on. I don't think it sends them the message that they don't belong in school or that they wouldn't fit in unless you actually feel that way and suggest that to them. Our kids fit in just fine around other children and they are very comfortable in their own skin.

The only ways I could see homeschooling sending a message that they wouldn't fit in is
1. If you sent unaffected children to school and only kept your affected child home.
OR
2. You never took them outside the home and never allowed them to play with other children.
(Both situations would be royally messed up anyway and I can't imagine anyone doing either one.)

Also remember, children can be very cruel to each other. They pick on each other for how they dress, what their hair looks like, what kind of shoes they wear, glasses, teeth, you name it. Don't think for a second that sending them to school will prevent them from feeling like they don't fit in. That message can be made abundantly clear by other children as well. I've always taught my kids that people are cruel and some people say things without thinking. We've had more adults than children question them about their skin (and not always in a kind way either). I remind them that they are special and wonderful, that everyone is different in their own way, and never to let somebody's comments get to them. I think you will find that as your daughter gets older, she will be stronger and braver than you can imagine and it would take a lot of work for her to think that YOU think she doesn't belong or fit in. She will hear you cheering her on, she will know that you are proud of her, she will see you encouraging her to step out of her comfort zone at times, and she will KNOW that you don't feel that way and it would never enter her mind...homeschooling or not.

#26778 - 08/16/10 01:12 AM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: Angel24755]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Yeh I totally didn't mean that sending her to school is going to teach her that she will fit in, like you said, ALL kids get picked on at one time or another and I know Kallie will be no different. I support homeschooling, its not for me, but that doesn't mean its not for someone else ya know what I mean?!

#26779 - 08/16/10 01:35 AM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: Angel24755]
Angel24755 Offline

I know exactly what you mean which is why I said in my first post "it's not the best choice for every family"...it just worked out well and was the best choice for us. I totally support those who go the school route. I went to public school and so did my husband. But, we found homeschooling to be a very appealing option for our family. Another thing that I absolutely love is our ability to do school work at any time of the day or any day of the year for that matter. We're able to pick up and go to the lake on a picnic or head to the zoo in the fall when the weather finally cools down. The other kids are in school, the weather is perfect for us, and we get to visit those types of places without the crowd. Being that two of our kids can't sweat, it really gives us the freedom to enjoy the outdoors during the spring and the fall when our children would otherwise be in school.

As I said though...each family needs to decide what is best for them, best for their children, and run with it. In the end, we're all trying to do the best we can for our children and for each one of us the best thing may be something entirely different.
Best of luck!

#26786 - 08/17/10 02:27 AM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: Angel24755]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Yeh my mom and were talking about it tonight b/c she works a lot with homeschooled kids and one of the families she works with do all sorts of great things that kids in school just wouldn't get to do, so there are advantages for sure! And yes it truely is what is best for YOUR family and I glad that you found something that works so well for your family!

#26803 - 08/20/10 03:46 PM Re: Homeschooling? [Re: Angel24755]
mom4girls Offline

Loc: Spring, Tx
I pulled my daughter out of public school due to skin issues in April. She has a birthmark and I.V. Her self esteem was very low and she wasn't learning. Since then I've decided to homeschool two of my other kids. It is one of the best decisions we've made for our family. That being said, homeschooling is a very personal decision you need to make for yourself... regardless of what others think. Another option is to see how she does. You can always pull her out if it isn't working. YOU know your daughter and what her needs are.

Best of luck!
Those links others have posted are wonderful! Do your research and if there is a homeschool conference in your area, GO! Even if you are undecided, it is the BEST place to find info!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information