Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#26552 - 06/25/10 04:42 PM Re: SSI/SSD [Re: cschaap]
Adrienne1 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA. Tulare County
Went in for the appointment on Thursday. Found out that my case has already been sent to determination in Fresno. Hope it's quick. My landlords are needing the money, and so do I for that matter so I can get my own place. But going back to school in the fall no matter what.

#26553 - 06/25/10 07:40 PM Re: SSI/SSD [Re: cschaap]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
Candace -- I had no idea you could get disability like that on a child. What sort of income requirement is there? I'm going to send you a message on FB for details!

#26565 - 06/28/10 02:48 PM Re: SSI/SSD [Re: cschaap]
MamaH2 Offline

Loc: Virginia
yep...it's much easier to get it for a child...harder when you're an adult. My MIL worked for 20+ years before being diagnosed with MS and had to retire for her health. She only got disability after going through all the appeals and eventually getting a lawyer and going to court to prove that she couldn't even be a greeter at walmart! Good Luck! I hope you get it. It's great that our government will take care of us, just remember it's so hard to get because they're trying to keep the fakers out and let legitimately disabled persons in.

#26569 - 06/30/10 01:38 PM Re: SSI/SSD [Re: MamaH2]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
We make too much money according to the so very nice lady at the SSI office. I am going to get a lawyer I think b/c she wouldn't even let me complete an application showing how much money we gave up when I quit working. Its so frustrating!

#26582 - 07/04/10 04:42 AM Re: SSI/SSD [Re: MomofPrincesses]
Mike&Aurora'sMom Offline

Loc: McHenry, Illinois USA
Kati- We are in the same boat with making too much money. I agree 100% that it is very frustrating. Our woman at the SSI office was actually very, very nice. She was really trying to figure something out since all of our children are affected, but the only thing she could finally say was "well, if one of you stopped working, you would definitely qualify." Hmmm, not really an option for us at this point. Good luck to you!!

Michael 11/3/03
Aurora 6/6/05
Matthew and Gabryan 3/26/2010
(all 4 affected)

#26748 - 08/09/10 03:48 PM Re: SSI/SSD [Re: Mike&Aurora'sMom]
NARE1226 Offline

Loc: York, PA
I applied for SSI/SSD benefits for Evan last year but was quickly turned down because we didn't meet the income guidelines ~ I didn't even make it past the kind receptionist at the SSI/SSD counter. I found the whole experience very frustrating, so we just decided not to pursue it. Kati, please let us know what you find out through the attorney, I was curious if hiring one would change the decision. FYI - I was told that although Evan didn't qualify for SSI/SSD that we could receive a medical card for him that would cover any medical costs our insurance doesn't, to this point we have not applied.

#26757 - 08/11/10 03:49 AM Re: SSI/SSD [Re: NARE1226]
kekonen Offline

I applied for SSI benefits for Annalie and we're waiting to hear from them. After I filled out the info online I had a phone appointment. I had to send in a medical release form, and that's where we stand now. We met the income requirement as my husband just graduated law school and is still looking for a job, and I am an unemployed teacher.

Regardless of income, you're right about our kids qualifying for Medicaid, NARE. It's definitely something to consider.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information