Topic Options
#25687 - 01/05/10 07:12 PM Hello!
GingerPye Offline

Hi All!

We're longtime members of NEA --- my 14 y.o. daughter was recently diagnosed with ichthyosis. She's had eczema since she was a few months old. It's really flared up right now, I think due to puberty/hormones. Dermatologist recommended Desonide ointment some months ago, but it really doesn't do much for her. We have Elidel sitting in the closet --- I'm not sure about letting her use that. We have all the creams --- AmiLactin is the most recent purchase. Vanicream is an old standby.

Any suggestions for a jr high girl who is dealing with a lot of flares on her face, neck, chest, and scalp?
Thanks for any help.

#25689 - 01/06/10 02:49 AM Re: Hello! [Re: GingerPye]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
I don't have any suggestions b/c mine is only 7mo old but we do love Amlactin. We are also using CeraVe and I love that stuff and Robathol oil in her bathwater and that seems to really help a lot!!

We also use Salex on her head, but since she is so small we can only do it every other day and just as a shampoo but with a teenager she would be able to metabolize it a lot better, so maybe ask about that. Its done an amazing job on Kallie's scalp just using it every other day and washing it completely off afterwards!

Good luck

#25697 - 01/06/10 05:27 PM Re: Hello! [Re: MomofPrincesses]
GingerPye Offline

Thanks, MomofP --- we have Robathol oil, also -- I use it, too! Haven't tried CereVe. Is Salex prescription?

#25699 - 01/06/10 07:48 PM Re: Hello! [Re: GingerPye]
MomofPrincesses Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
Salex is an Rx but so far its worked great for us. CeraVe is OTC and I got it at Target from the pharmacy

#25700 - 01/07/10 04:23 AM Re: Hello! [Re: MomofPrincesses]
kekonen Offline

My daughter is only 5 months old, but we also use CeraVe (the cream in the tub) and RoBathol. It has helped greatly! I hope you find something that helps!

#25742 - 01/17/10 08:45 PM Re: Hello! [Re: GingerPye]
ashley Offline

I have ichthyosis vulgaris and psoriasis and something that magically one day appeared on my face that doctors werent sure what it was but for my face i was perscribed this sulfacet stuff, it was very gentle and after a week my face cleared up, you should ask her doctor about her getting that as well, I also use apricot scrub and clean & clean cream cleanser on my face, and for make up i use bare minerals, I know it's exspensive but I'm 19 and very self concious about my skin & it covers up all of my redness and makes me look natural I love it.

as far as the desonide goes I was perscribed that from some poor exscuse for a doctor and I hated it.

I don't know what kind of ichthyosis your daughter has but I use tazorac and ammonium lactate for my ichthyosis vulgaris. But I would defiantly how often you should apply it is different for everyone, when I was first perscribed tazorac with the ammonium lactate that tazorac burnt the skin off my legs and arms and the ammonium lactate would cause inflammed burns on my body from using it everyday, now i use tazorac 3 times a week and ammonium lactate everyday.

for my scalp i use head and shoulders its the pink one i think its called silky smooth. it smells good and works amazing.

I Also use eurcerin & aveeno overnight cream on a daily basis several times a day.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information