Topic Options
#25608 - 12/04/09 09:26 PM swimming
snackmom Offline

Loc: mechanicsburg, PA, USA
I am looking for some encouraging information from the experts!

I take David along to my older sons (unaffected) swim lessons once a week. David has been asking repeatedly if he is can go swimming too. I figured I would start him when he is a little older since the lessons are with someone else. That way he can communicate with the instructer a little better. My concerns are not major, but I am curious if anyone else has ever gone swimming in a public indoor pool? How did you handle the lotioning afterward? With that amount of time in the water, I am imagining the tenderness of his skin would result in a screaming fit while lotioning and I would totally prefer to avoid that in public.

Any input would be great and appreciated. I do not want to limit David's experiences so I am determined to make it work! Just not sure how yet?

Thank,
Christine

#25613 - 12/07/09 12:31 PM Re: swimming [Re: snackmom]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
Swimming has always helped my skin out a lot. I didn't really have a problem with the aftermath since the skin is coming off "naturally" instead of being pumiced off like if I were home in the tub.
I usually shower off and use oil instead of lotion since the chlorine can be drying.

#25616 - 12/07/09 05:10 PM Re: swimming [Re: Glori]
Keith Offline

Loc: Southern California
I'm pretty much on the same page with Glori. When I get out of the water(usually the ocean) my skin is very soft and "mushy". Whether it is a pool or the ocean I always shower afterward before putting any lotion or oil on. If I am just out of the water and my skin is very saturated I have to towel off and let my skin dry a little before I can put any kind of lotion or oil on or it won't accept it. I wouldn't worry about immediately putting a moisturizer on him when he gets out of the pool. Take him home and let him take a bath or shower to rinse any excess chlorine or bacteria from the public pool out of his skin, let him dry a bit until his skin isn't too soft anymore(your best judgment)and then apply your creams.

Edited by Keith (12/07/09 05:12 PM)

#25622 - 12/08/09 08:14 AM Re: swimming [Re: Keith]
Samiha Offline

Loc: Dhaka,Bangladesh
Thanx Keith

#25624 - 12/08/09 01:53 PM Re: swimming [Re: Samiha]
snackmom Offline

Loc: mechanicsburg, PA, USA
Thanks everyone! I think I am overthinking the entire thing- anxious and overprotective mommy! I had thought about just bringing him home and cleaning him up, but wasn't sure how if at all it would effect anything. I do not want the swimming to be counterproductive. Another thing that concerned me was the temperatures outside- it can get pretty cold here in PA! Either way I guess I won't know until we try. I think I will start him in the fall classes.

Glori- I actually use the term "lotions" very loosely! We actually do not put lotion on him unless we are in a pickle. Right now we use Emu oil and aquaphor after a bath with emu soap (and lots of bubbles for fun and distrations). I think his skin looks great, I just wish that crazy itch would go away! crazy

Any other input is great and always helpful! Thanks again guys!

Christine

#25669 - 12/20/09 09:47 PM Re: swimming [Re: snackmom]
cp1961 Offline

Loc: Ft Smith, AR
by all means take him swimming. the water is good for moisturizing the skin and loosening scales. also,swimming is a much better sport to enroll him in as he gets older, because his body can't cool itself off like people with regular skin . if he gets into sports where he can get overheated easily, the chance of him having heatstroke is pretty high. make sure his coaches know this and keep a close eye on him

#25746 - 01/18/10 04:32 AM Re: swimming [Re: cp1961]
Evan's Mommy Offline

Loc: Portland, ME 04106
We have had great luck with Evan (4 1/2 yo) at our public pool, no adverse affects at all. We simply rinse him off and lube him up (with aquaphor) after he gets out.

I do keep EHK info postcards with me in the pool bag. Most of the lifeguards know us and the appearance of Evan's skin is no big deal but every once in a while, either a pool patron or a new guard "worries" that he might be contangious.

Go swimming (and stay warm). It is freezing and snowing here in Maine right now.

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information