Topic Options
#25388 - 11/08/09 05:16 PM Gaining Weight
Pood Offline

Loc: LaPorte, Tx
I bet that most of Ya'll are wondering "why would somone want to GAIN weight?" Well i'll tell you, i'm 17 years old and weigh 62lbs. No i'm not happy about it. I hate it! I've tried a few thing to help me gain but none of it seem to help a great deal. I love to eat but i'm also a picky eater. i've gotten better but still not good enough. Help please!

#25418 - 11/11/09 03:14 PM Re: Gaining Weight [Re: Pood]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
My kids are all underweight and we saw a nutritionist early on. what type of ichthyosis do you have? Netherton's and Harlequin are especially prone to being underweight, but any type uses lots of energy on skin growth or temperature management or both. Some of the more severe types use a feeding tube at night in order to get adequate nutrition. For us, we are fine with just adding extra calories to a regular diet. Whole milk, butter, pastas with extra cheese, peanut butter, etc.

You sound very severely underweight and in need of a doctor's monitoring. You might have a metabolic problem aside from ichthyosis, such as an overactive thyroid. At the very least, you should see a nutritionist. But definitely start adding extra calories to your diet until you get an appointment.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#25423 - 11/11/09 05:17 PM Re: Gaining Weight [Re: Hearsay]
Pood Offline

I've seen a nutritionist, and they pretty much said the same thing. I've also had a G-Tube Since I was 18 months old and i use it a little. I eat as many calories a day as I can stand and then some. Pasta and cheese I love!! And I have my own little self in my pantry filled with all sorts of high calorie goodies. so i'm doing what everybody says I should put together. The type of Ichthyosis That I have is called Ichthyosis On Confettii. smile

#25433 - 11/12/09 07:32 PM Re: Gaining Weight [Re: Pood]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
Yes, you are definitely pretty tiny. My kids and husband have the other type of confetti. I know you see Dr. M like we do - have you talked to him about your weight issues?

Edited by Hearsay (11/12/09 07:37 PM)
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#25450 - 11/14/09 04:01 PM Re: Gaining Weight [Re: Hearsay]
Pood Offline

He never talked much about it that I can remember.

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information