Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#25479 - 11/17/09 04:38 PM Re: Swine flu vaccine? [Re: TiffanyJ]
jrmiss86 Offline

Loc: Marlton, NJ, USA
Our ped. and my mom, who has a dr. in nursing, both have said that in something like 99% of the population the swine flu is just a bad cold and very mild. The only reason we are hearing so much about it is because of the media hyping up the problem cases. I don't remember the exact numbers but my ped. told us that it was something like 10 times more people died of the regular flu last year than the swine flu.

I know some of the people on here react to being sick differently then the general population and everyone has to decide what is right for their own family, but my general opinion is that it is a big bunch of hype that has been ramped up by the media because they got tired of talking about Obama and the government.
Liz (3/16/07)

#25480 - 11/17/09 05:13 PM Re: Swine flu vaccine? [Re: jrmiss86]
Keith Offline

Loc: Southern California
Heather,
I couldn't agree more. In fact research not controlled by the CDC or the government shows exactly that. The swine flu shot hadn't even been created when it hit the southern hemisphere and they survived it without it being the huge pandemic they hyped it up to be. I'm not saying no one should get a flu shot, if it makes you feel protected have at it. Whether you have gotten, are planning to get or won't receive the swine flu or any other flu shot, please read what they have to say at the link I am posting.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...anda-Blitz.aspx

#25481 - 11/17/09 07:08 PM Re: Swine flu vaccine? [Re: Keith]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
It's really not this particular bug that's the problem. It's very mild for most people, although many people end up with a week or two of full blown flu misery, and the people that are dying are typically young and healthy - ages 2-50 with no complicating health problems.

Seasonal flu normally kills many more people because the people that it kills are already old and sick or young and not partially immune from exposure to similar flu viruses. It kills 40,000 per year or so, but the great majority are those with CHF, advanced diabetes, emphysema, pneumonia, are bedridden or have other problems, or babies under 6 months.

The real story with H1N1 flu isn't this specific virus, but it's ability to jump across species, mix with other flu viruses and potentially become lethal because nobody is immune.

Remember bird flu? It's still out there, killing chickens. It so far only occasionally gets into a human, and typically it is killing the chicken handler and his family in China or Indonesia or wherever. Bird Flu has spread a few times from person to person...and it kills 80% of those that get it.

So what happens on the day that stupid little cold-like swine flu that barely hurts anybody runs into someone fighting a raging bird flu infection? There's a VERY good chance that the bird flu virus can acquire the virulent (spreads easily to everybody) nature of swine flu, while retaining the kills 80% factor of bird flu.

We don't know when that's going to happen. Every few years, it may seem like a big scare - OMG!!! SARS is going to kill us all!!!. The media doesn't help by crying wolf every time a new one pops up, but the epidemiologists that study this stuff have every real reason to fear the next big one. It's coming. We just don't know when or where or how bad it will be, and because flu vaccine takes so long to create, it will likely be everywhere by the time the vaccine is available, just like swine flu this year.

It's very hard to balance the real threat versus the perceived threat without having the general populace tune it out or panic.
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#25482 - 11/17/09 07:21 PM Re: Swine flu vaccine? [Re: Hearsay]
Sideshow_bob Offline

Loc: US, Midwest

#25484 - 11/17/09 09:48 PM Re: Swine flu vaccine? [Re: Sideshow_bob]
Hearsay Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA, USA
<applause for Sideshow_Bob>
I also have an unaffected daughter, age 8.

email: jennifer at confettiskin dot com
facebook - find me on "ichthyosis mommy spot" or "friends of ichthyosis"

#25487 - 11/18/09 01:06 AM Re: Swine flu vaccine? [Re: Hearsay]
jrmiss86 Offline

Loc: Marlton, NJ, USA
Jennifer,

That is pretty much what I was trying to say. Sure is this virus a problem for a lot of people, yes no denying that. I just think the media works very hard to make people panic. The government, at least here in wonderful Jersey isn't helping matters by going on and on about how you need to run out right now and get the shot, but forgetting to add that you can't find the shot anywhere. Like I said, I only have experience here in Jersey. It may very well be different in other states.

And for the record if I could find it, I would be getting Alex the shot since he runs such high fevers for even a simple cold. I just get so frustrated with the media hyping things up just to scare people.
Liz (3/16/07)

#25519 - 11/21/09 06:29 AM Re: Swine flu vaccine? [Re: TiffanyJ]
Keith Offline

As I stated in my posts my main opposition to flu shots of any kind is the fact that even if they have the formula correct to begin with the virus mutates, like all viruses do, leaving you with a flu shot that has no effect on the strain you may get. It will be interesting to see how many people get the swine flu(laboratory confirmed) who actually had the swine flu shot. Chances are that info will never be released to the public.
As far as the discussion of thimerosal being harmless at the levels in the vaccine and those who suffer dangerous side effects a tragedy. Well, yes, it is. It's a tragedy because thimerosal does not have to be used in any vaccines. It is a preservative which is 49% mercury by weight, used by money hungry pharm companies so that instead of packaging individual doses which would not require thimerosal, they can package a larger vial of it enabling them to extract multiple vaccinations from the same vial. The thimerosal kills any bacteria and fungi that may enter the vial every time they insert a needle into it. The Department of Defense classifies mercury as a hazardous material that could cause death if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Studies indicate that mercury tends to accumulate in the brains of primates and other animals after they are injected with vaccines. Mercury poisoning has been linked to cardiovascular disease, autism, seizures, mental retardation, hyperactivity, dyslexia and many other nervous system conditions. That's why the FDA rigorously limits exposure to mercury in foods and drugs. The toxicity of mercury has never been in question. The real question is precisely how much mercury-laced thimerosal is toxic, and what are the possible consequences for our children at low doses? THIMEROSAL HAS BEEN BANNED AROUND THE WORLD BUT NOT IN THE USA.
That might explain why thimerosal was eliminated in many countries 20 years ago. In 1977, a Russian study found that adults exposed to ethylmercury, the form of mercury in thimerosal, suffered brain damage years later. Studies on thimerosal poisoning also describe tubular necrosis and nervous system injury, including obtundation, coma and death. As a result of these findings, Russia banned thimerosal from children's vaccines in 1980. Denmark, Austria, Japan, Great Britain and all the Scandinavian countries have also banned the preservative. Do I need to go any further?

#25520 - 11/21/09 06:30 AM swine flu [Re: TiffanyJ]
Keith Offline

Edited by Keith (11/22/09 12:33 AM)
Edit Reason: duplicate post

#25521 - 11/21/09 01:21 PM Re: Swine flu vaccine? [Re: Keith]
KimNL Offline

Loc: Holyrood, NL, Canada
You know, Keith, you are entitled to your opinion. But this is an individual decision by individuals and parents for their kids. Many websites are less than reputable. Research can be interpreted in may ways and skewed to get the most favourable response (depending on your position).
I have gotten the vaccine for my kids, my husband and me - I am a nurse - and I don't believe it's harmful - but rather, beneficial.
Good luck, everyone, in your deliberations about this.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  marcsmom, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information