Topic Options
#25271 - 10/08/09 11:00 AM Aquaphor vs petrolium
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I'm just wondering if petrolium jelly is ok to use instead of aquaphor. Basically, I stupidly ran out of aquaphor ( or here in Australia eucerin wools alcohol) today and didn't order any in advance( here you have to to get the big tubs) and so I bought a big jar of white petrolium jelly and it looks pretty good actually. It's not like Vaseline which is thin. It's quite thick and I'm thinking this might be a good alternative considering it costs $4 vs $25 a tub. I realize that everyones skin is different and we'll see in time whether it's good or not for brandyn's skin but I'm just interested to know what your experiences have been with both. Brandyn seems to have a moderate case of LI but right now he's super dry. I have ordered the eucerin but by god if we could find a cheaper alternative it would really help. If it's not as good though we won't change obviously! Thanks smile

#25274 - 10/09/09 12:08 PM Re: Aquaphor vs petrolium [Re: brandynsmum]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
It's weird you bring that up...I just hit 40 and have come full circle. I just bought a tub of vaseline, the first time in about 20 some years and I am having good results with it. I have four stubborn places that are super-scaly and peel constantly and the vaseline is really healing them up. I mentioned in another forum that I seem to eventually build up a resistence to products that once worked well for me so changing things up a bit seems to help.
You might want to think about alternating your products to A) save some money and B) keep the good results going.

#25276 - 10/10/09 01:40 PM Re: Aquaphor vs petrolium [Re: Glori]
Laurensmom Offline

Loc: north billerica, massachusetts...
Morgan and Glori,

Morgan, it is so funny that you posted this topic. I found myself at the pharmacy earlier this week after we too ran out of acquaphor. Standing over the jars with the prices staring me in the face, I was close to picking up the Vaseline (a 15 dollar savings). I have always kept a jar of Vaseline in the car, in the event she needs a touch up but have hesitated to use in on her entire body. For what reason? Who knows? Maybe next time I give it a try. Thanks Glori for your insight.

Shannon

#25277 - 10/10/09 10:34 PM Re: Aquaphor vs petrolium [Re: Laurensmom]
brandynsmum Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I agree that switching products around every once in awhile helps I just hadn't done it with the aquaphor, only creams. So far, this generic white petrolium seems to be doing a great job!! Well see how it compares once Brandyn goes through a full skin cycle ( about 3-4 weeks ) but I'm very excited about it. Even rotating the aquaphor and petrolium would help on the $$ front but if it turns out that the petrolium isn't as good then we'll go back to aquaphor obviously but fingers crossed!!!!

Shannon, give the Vaseline a go smile I suppose the worst that would happen is that it doesn't do as good of a job and then you can switch right back. Let me know how it goes if you decide to try it smile

Glori, I realize that everyone's skin is different but how often do you change creams? Just curious as I rotate them often.

#25282 - 10/14/09 12:02 PM Re: Aquaphor vs petrolium [Re: brandynsmum]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
I don't seem to be paying attention to how often I swap out, I usually just notice that something I was using isn't doing the job anymore. I actually switched to Vaseline for a while because I had these really stubborn patches that refused to stop peeling and I kept putting bacitracin on them. I realized that the bacitracin was only making them better because it's thick and seals in moisture and that's what Vaseline is for.
I have also been putting my own additives in my liquid soap lately and I think that might be helping out as well.

#25312 - 10/27/09 09:44 PM Re: Aquaphor vs petrolium [Re: Glori]
Amber Offline

Loc: North Carolina
My name is Amber I just want to say that I have used both and I noticed that the Vaseline seemed to attract dirt more than the Aquaphore. When the dirt would attract, my face and parts of the body that were exposed would look dirty and dark. Don't ask me why it just happened that way.

#25325 - 10/31/09 05:55 AM Re: Aquaphor vs petrolium [Re: Amber]
LGuaragna Offline

Loc: Walnut Creek, CA
Hello... I only use petroleum jelly (generic vaseline) because it seems the only thing thick enough to get in to my skin but maybe it is because i have been using petroleum jelly my whole life before aquaphor was around vaseline brand as well as aquaphor are not thick enough. I shower every morning and put petroleum jelly on and I am usually good through the whole day. Only down part is that it can ruin your clothes and leave a build up on them that also leaves a ring in the washer when you wash your clothes... I still wouldn't use anything else.Dirt does seem to get stuck but only when i wear sandals and only on my feet n ankles never had an issue anywhere else on my body.

Edited by LGuaragna (10/31/09 07:04 AM)

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information