Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#25161 - 09/18/09 09:06 PM I hate Icthyosis
Hayley_Hayley Offline

I hate this I have Ichtyosis Vulgaris and I am only 12 I have had it ever since I was born and it it really annyoing and it makes me made and frustrated kids always make fun of me and they will not stand nexy to me or anything my skin was looking good for a while cause I was on this medicine called Acutane and it really worked but I have to stop it for 6 months and my skin is very dry again and of course I have a severe case of Icthyosis Vulgaris in ohter words I have it I HAVE IT LITERALLY EVERYWHERE ON ME! it is so frustrating I just want kids to stop making fun of me and I have to take lotion to school with me and carry it around with me in my classes and I try to hode it with my hoodie and I have to carry around a mirror so please if you have any lotions that will work for my skin please tell me!

#25166 - 09/20/09 02:33 PM Re: I hate Icthyosis [Re: Hayley_Hayley]
Les Avakian Offline

Loc: Fresno, Calif. USA 93705
Hello Hayley
Welcome to our ichthyosis bulletin board. Many of our friends who have vulgaris are using the alpha hydroxy acid creams (urea,glycollic,lactic,and salicyllic acids).You might like to try Eucerin Plus, Carmol 10 & 20, Amlactin 12% ammonium lactate, Lachydrin 5% over the counter or Lachydrin 12% by prescription,LAClotion by Paddock Labs, Aqua Glycollic with glycollic acid, Dermal Therapy Alpha Hydroxy 10% urea/10% lactic (www.dermaltherapy.com),Keralyt Gel,& Kerol urea products. Those are just a few examples I can think of at the moment. Check some of the other posts for other products you might like to try. Take care Hayley and keep us informed.
Sincerely,
Les

#25168 - 09/21/09 09:02 AM Re: I hate Icthyosis [Re: Les Avakian]
Glori Offline

Loc: Elk Rapids, Michigan
If it makes you feel better, I am 40 and I still hate it too...but it does get easier in some ways.
I think the key for me in school was participating in activities that I was good at and that interested me. I was in theater from the seventh grade until I graduated and suddenly people paid attention to my talent rather than my skin. It gives your classmates a different aspect of YOU to focus on.
Don't slide into other people's negativity, find what you love and focus on the positive and remember, everyone on here has gone through exactly what you have. It may not be much comfort, but at least you know you aren't alone!
Feel free to post as much as you want, we are here for you!

#25236 - 09/30/09 06:48 PM Re: I hate Icthyosis [Re: Glori]
Hayley_Hayley Offline

Thanks!

#25245 - 10/02/09 12:54 PM Re: I hate Icthyosis [Re: Hayley_Hayley]
Amber Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I feel your pain.... I don't have Ichthyosis Vulgaris but I have something close its call
Lamellar Ichthyosis and, it is also all over my body. I am 21 and trust me I had my fare share of people that stare and make fun... even out of school. I probably heard any and every name in the book. But glori is right it will get better and easier over time. Just know that the people that make fun of you are just ignorant to your skin disorder and don't understand what its like to be you. The way I handled the people making fun of me was, I asked one of my teachers if I could write a report on my skin disorder and read it to the class to help them better understand what living in the life of a scaly person was all about. It really worked! And people started to defend me instead of attack me. If you try this let me know how it worked for you. God doesn't like ugly..... and we are beautiful in his eyes, thats all that matters.

Edited by Amber (10/02/09 01:11 PM)

#25275 - 10/09/09 11:23 PM Re: I hate Icthyosis [Re: Amber]
alangreen Offline

2 Hayley_Hayley

I think, if other kids are making fun of you the right thing will be to beat them.

#25551 - 11/26/09 08:52 PM Re: I hate Icthyosis [Re: alangreen]
grassak Offline

#26012 - 03/17/10 10:29 PM Re: I hate Icthyosis [Re: grassak]
Heidi Merk Offline

Loc: United States
Hey Hayley
I know what your going through. 4th through 5th grade i was known as alligator skin...it pissed me off but i dealt with it. i used to daydream that my skin was in the developing stages off some type of warrior skin armor that was bullet proof of that i was descended from a tribe of alligator people O_o yes i was weird...i still am but thats beside the point...i didnt really have a point...anyways im in the 9th grade now and i wont wear anything besides pants because im afraid it will be 4-5th grade all over again. I dont even want to wear bathing suits anymore! on top of all that i have vitiligo on my face =_=' all you can do really is joke about it and act like you couldnt care less what people think! and if they are being real asses about it just act like you dont have time to listen or react to their bs smile it works for me

#26032 - 03/20/10 03:41 AM Re: I hate Icthyosis [Re: Heidi Merk]
ichthydad Offline

Loc: Lethbridge, AB, Canada
hi heyley
my name is brendan and im 14 and i have lamellar icthyosis kids used to leer at me and call me names but whenever they did i just shrugged it off and continued my life as normal so then they just got bored of it and stopped, that and one kid who kept on trying got wholloped. at my school some people avoid me but i just say "your loss im a really nice person and you will never know that because you dont like the way i look" if you ever want to talk about anyting heres my email: halo_freak_12@hotmail.com

#26124 - 03/30/10 04:04 PM Re: I hate Icthyosis [Re: ichthydad]
October Offline

Loc: Boise, Id
As we mature so do our peers! I am 33 and have lived with IV my whole life--hang in there. It will get better I promise!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information