Topic Options
#24926 - 08/10/09 12:57 AM Where to draw blood from for CBC?
Candy_Padilla Offline

Loc: Philippines
Dear Moms and Dads,
Matti, my 5-yr old w/ EHK might have to undergo CBC to eliminate the possibility of him having dengue fever--an illness common in tropical countries. The problem is his skin is thick and scaly all over except his face, back, palms, and soles. How would the doctor find the vein to draw the blood from? Can anyone please share any experience they've had?

Candy

#24933 - 08/12/09 04:58 AM Re: Where to draw blood from for CBC? [Re: Candy_Padilla]
Keith Offline

Loc: Southern California
Believe it or not a needle will go through the thick scales or in between them, the problem is finding the vein before you try and insert the needle. The best thing you can do is pick a spot on him where blood is most commonly drawn, the tops of the hands or the areas on the wrists and forearms is probably best. Work on these areas constantly with creams and scrubbing to get it as thin as you can before you go for the blood test. Try wrapping it overnight in plastic wrap and your preferred cream, in the morning wash and scrub away the soft loose scales, keep repeating this as necessary. Do your best and I'm sure they'll be able to get blood. I've had blood drawn many times even with moderate scaling on my arms, a good phlebotomist makes all the difference in the world. Good luck.

#24936 - 08/12/09 06:41 AM Re: Where to draw blood from for CBC? [Re: Keith]
Martika Offline

Loc: Southern California
They may be able to get it from his hands as well, make sure he's FULLY hydrated so they can find a nice vein on back of his hand.
I've only been able to have a blood draw 1x on my inner arm, it's actually very hard for most ppl to find a vein.

So they go with my hands, sometimes the veins roll and sometimes they are small but if it's a good tech, they'll find one!

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information