Topic Options
#24876 - 08/04/09 11:04 PM Q to anyone who took Accutane before the age of 18
pmahon Offline

Hi,
I'm Paul. I'm new to these forums but am so glad that I found it.
My question is for anyone who took Accutane as a teenager or a child.
I myself took the drug for 8 months at a dose of 1-1.5mg per kg per day, when I was 14 years old.(around 60mg)
I have recently become quite concerned about some reports that I have read that Accutane can lead to the premature closing of the growth plates in pediatric patients.
I'm conerned becuase I don't feel that I grew much at all after taking Accutane, but am unsure as to whether this was just natural ( becuase I kinda started puberty a bit early) or whether it was indeed a horrid adverse side effect of Accutane.
So my question to anyone else who has been on this drug as a teenager or child, did you grow at all in height during and after taking Accutane?
What age were you when you took Accutane and for how long were you on the drug? Also, could you please state what dosage you were on?
Are any of you aware of anyone you know of who has experienced this side effect?
I'd really appreciate it if as many of you guys could let me know of your experiences.

Thanks

Paul

#25212 - 09/25/09 11:59 PM Re: Q to anyone who took Accutane before the age of 18 [Re: pmahon]
Vicky Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Hi Paul,
My daughter took soriatane, which has the same risk, but it is worse than acutane for many reasons. She started this medication when she was 12 years old and stopped its used after 9 years because she developed peripheral neurophaty, which its terrible, but it did not cause any damage to her growth. She is now 22 years old and her height is 5'7", which its ok. Hope you are doing ok.
Regards,
Vicky

#25329 - 10/31/09 10:21 PM Re: Q to anyone who took Accutane before the age of 18 [Re: pmahon]
LGuaragna Offline

Loc: Walnut Creek, CA
Hello Paul, I have been taking Accutan or forms of it sincce I was 15 years old. Unfortunately, I did not know if I grew any between 15 and 18. I am now 28 and have been taking accutane on a regular basis since I was 15. If I can answer any other questions for you please let me know.

Leslie

#25851 - 02/07/10 11:42 AM Re: Q to anyone who took Accutane before the age of 18 [Re: Vicky]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Vicky, Can you please clarify two things.
1. are you saying that your daughter developed peripheral neuropathy because of the soriatane or was that from another unrelated cause?
2. what is worse about soriatane than accutane?

My son has cie and is 7 years old . after visiting many doctors there are two choices I am being offered depending on which doctor I trust more or makes the most sense.
1. Remicade and methyltrexate administered togeteher or
2. soriatane

#28273 - 02/20/12 02:23 AM Re: Q to anyone who took Accutane before the age of 18 [Re: pmahon]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took Accutane from when I was 10 or 11 to when I was 18. I am now 19 and I stopped taking it in June due to some mental health issues I was suffering from which I believe to have been due to Accutane for certain mental issues can be side effects. Since I stopped my skin has been harder to take care of and the ectropian got worse but the mental issues have died down a bit, these issues I speak of are OCD I believe, I still have yet to see a psychologist. I do not know if it caused my height deficiency. I thought it might cuz I haven't grown much since 11. I am 19 and only 5'0. However, I did meet my biological father recently and he is only about 5'4 at the most if not my height.

#29141 - 02/24/14 09:55 PM Re: Q to anyone who took Accutane before the age of 18 [Re: pmahon]
JodiM Offline

Hi Paul!
My name is Jodi. I'm am new as well to these forums. I have taken Accutane since I was 11yrs. Old. I'm now 46. It's been great. I've not had any bad side effects except maybe my growth, and really not even that. I'm 5'.0 but I've been short all my life. I started out taking 10 mg. when I was 11. Then the doc gradually increased it over the years to 40mg. But in the last several years I've had these raw spots all over my body just about. Not sure when they started. They are very very painful right now especially on my bottom, I have a hard time sitting standing and laying in bed. The nights & mornings r awful bad. All I do is cry. My Mom puts different bandages on them, even when she touches them I start crying. About 6 mo. Ago my dermatologist took me off of the Accutane thinking that was the problem. But they have gotten worse over the last couple of weeks. I don't think taking me off of the Accutane was the answer. I'm going back to my doc at UNC Chapel hill in March hopefully he will put me back on it. I hope I was of some help Paul. If you hear anything about raw sore spots on Lemellar Ichthyosis let me know . Thanks
Sincerely, Jodi Meador

Moderator:  Laura Phillips 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information