Topic Options
#24620 - 06/18/09 02:15 PM Can't get rid of scales + Keratosis pilaris
troy54 Offline

Hey there, I have tried using a loofah sponge with moisturizing body wash in the shower then apply Amlactin right away when I get out of the shower. For some reason the scales are still very visible on the back of my legs and on the back of my arms I have little patches of scales and red/brown bumps called Keratosis pilaris. I have had this condition for years and can't find anything to treat them. What other methods would you guys recommend me try? Should I try the stronger AmLactin XL?

#24622 - 06/18/09 05:47 PM Re: Can't get rid of scales + Keratosis pilaris [Re: troy54]
Tmax Offline

Loc: san francisco, CA
Hey Troy,
I'm 56 and have had icthyosis vulgaris for as long as I can remember. My point is, I'm fairly old now and wouldn't even be on this site except that recently I stumbled on the closest thing to a cure by far that I have ever found and to my knowledge I'm the only person who knows about it.

I started taking an iodine supplement called "Iodoral" recently for another problem and noticed my skin started getting better than it has ever been. I now take 100mg/day. Other iodine supplements may work as well, I don't know, I haven't tried them. The theory being that 20% of iodine is in the skin and of that, most is in the sweat glands. Iodine activates the sweat glands and a deficiency will cause dry skin. FYI I can show a connection between low iodine and icthyosis from my simple limited internet search so I can show some solid basis in fact.

I've only been taking it since January so it's still an ongoing experiment. The areas you mentioned, back of arms and legs are getting better with me but will probably take the longest. Of course this winter will be the real test. I'm not a doctor doing a study or anything but my results have been so encouraging I wanted to say something because this can help people now. It's effective, it's cheap and so far, no downside.

As I said before, I'm old. This discovery is just something I want to share with younger people who it could really make a difference with. I know the shame and embarassment I've been through. My skin has never felt better. If you can throw a little exercise in and work up a sweat it should even work better. I usually go for a run shower, then put on baby oil.

I've read that 40% of people with icthyosis also have some other chronic problem, I did. You might find that the iodine will take care of other conditions too.

Good Luck,
Max

#24623 - 06/19/09 12:43 AM Re: Can't get rid of scales + Keratosis pilaris [Re: Tmax]
troy54 Offline

Thank you for your advice Max, when you started taking Iodoral did you notice the scales and cracks start to disappear or was your skin just not as dry? I'm 20 years old so if I took the iodine supplement would it be safe for me?

#24644 - 06/24/09 05:43 PM Re: Can't get rid of scales + Keratosis pilaris [Re: troy54]
Tmax Offline

Loc: san francisco, CA
I started taking the Iodoral for a rheumatoid arthritis problem I have essentially cured and low iodine was the last piece of the puzzle. In other words, low iodine causes low stomach acid (acid reflux) which caused poor mineral digestion of potassium, magnesium, calcium and others. (Sorry, I don't mean to go off on tangents.) I read that iodine helps dry skin but there's "Dry skin" and then there's "My skin" which I'm sure you understand. I assumed the task would be too monumental.

Getting to your question, the Iodoral comes in both 12.5mg and 50mg (4 times as much) pills. I started taking one 12.5mg/day and within a week went to 50mg/day. As I sit there on the throne waiting for a movement I look at my thighs and then feel how crusty & scaley they are. After about a month I noticed the skin on my thighs getting better from the groin moving toward the knee. My first reaction was that maybe it was just in my mind or maybe just the seasonal thing but after a couple more weeks I increased my daily dose to 100mg/day, 4 of the 12.5mg pills in the AM and 4 in the PM.

Right now my I can honestly say my skin has never been better. When I was your age I used to get a lot more sun and that helped but the little carcinomas started to appear as I got older so I'm more careful about that now. Working up a good sweat will help too.

As far as side effects, I seem to have more energy, require less sleep. It might make you feel a little wired, not like a caffiene high but I seem to have a certain awareness. The hair on my arms is growing more. No...., there's still no hair on my palms (joke).

I would suggest reading about it on the net, buy some (the net has a some fairly cheap. I paid $32.50 for 180 pills but I saw some for $28 & $29), then start out slow and see how you feel. Let your body be the judge.

I don't know if I mentioned it before but the only reason I am making entries into this site is 1) I want to help people, I know what I went through (mostly elementary and junior high. By the time I was your age I could hide it a lot better.) and 2) I am very excited about discovering this connection. I'm still experimenting myself but everything is very promising. I don't really need a support group. It's kind of funny but my whole life, outside of my older brother (2 other sibs OK) I've only noticed a couple of other people with icthyosis. they must be very adept at hiding it. I might add my older brother was 4F because of the icthyosis.

I think you will be pleasantly shocked by how good your skin gets but it will probably take months.

Sincerely,
Max

#30270 - 02/03/16 05:39 PM Re: Can't get rid of scales + Keratosis pilaris [Re: troy54]
stkacljm Offline

Loc: Wisconsin Rapids, Wi, USA
Tmax, I know this is quite an old post, but if you're still connected to this forum, would you mind sharing how your skin is doing today? I find it interesting that you said your skin was clearing up from taking the iodine. I learned that iodine displaces toxins in our body including the halides, mercury, and lead. I wonder if your skin was clearing up due to the removal of toxins. I have lamellar ich, and I began a post under "general discussion" about my skin actually doing some healing as well. I believe it is from the removal of toxins in my body. When I began to take iodine in small amounts, I would feel discomfort in my liver/gall bladder area. Seems to make sense that I was sort of overloading the liver with toxins as the iodine was removing them. Since then I've been a little more aggressive in my detoxification protocol, and I am seeing huge improvements in my skin. I find it interesting because it is in the same areas as you describe...back of my legs, inside my arms, but it all began on the upper part of my back. It is also definitely spreading to other areas. I have never seen this milky white skin on my body before and I really would like everyone to know that there is a possibility to heal! How can I announce this to everyone on this forum?!?

Moderator:  Laura Phillips, Sideshow_bob 

Copyright 2012 Ichthyosis Information